• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes again

Gerbil43

Warren Scout
This is my first post on this extremely informative and friendly site. Unfortunatley it's too late for our 3 adorable bunnies who tragically died as a result of a fox attack on Sunday 5th May. Two (Candy & Pepsi) were untouched and the 3rd Daisy suffered what appeared to be only minor injuries. They were all only 2 years old. It looks like they died from shock/fright. We loved them to bits and our household has been devastated by the loss. In 15 years I've never seen a fox in our street and 3 other nearby friends also have rabbits who for over 3-4 years have run freely around their gardens 24/7. Maybe we were unlucky, or maybe it was only a matter of time.
Things could have been worse but thankfully it looks like I interupted the 3.30am attack b4 the fox caused any more damage or took one of them away. Our little ones were buried intact with a heart felt prayer and a lot of tears. The fox has returned twice looking for its prey but they're safely buried and we've even gone to extremes of spraying Auntie's gift after shave and perfume around the area to deter & confuse the beast.
There's some information I'd like to share with my fellow bunny lovers. Firstly after securing our pets in their hutches at night time for several months it became clear they were determined to stay outdoors. Our garden is of a reasonable size and enclosed by fencing between 6-7 feet high. Given our friends situation we decided to let them run free 24/7 (a number of nights pursuing them around the garden in the rain also encouraged us in this direction). To see this was pure joy. Morning, afternoon, nite, it was heart warming to see them interacting with eachother and regularly with next doors cats. Given their eventful fate I cannot say this was the best of ideas and I definitely have bad feelings of guilt over this but we know they had a happy and well loved existance.
Looking on this site I've clearly seen how folks utterly love & adore their rabbits just the same as we did. I'm a married man, a dad and a career professional and I can't believe how this has left me absolutely gutted. We tried our best to do the right thing. The two sisters Candy & Daisy were neutered as was the slightly younger male Pepsi. They all had the necessary jabs and were fed, changed and fussed appropriately.
It just goes to show you can't cater and predict for everything.
Give you bunnies a big cuddle tonight. You all deserve it

Last edited:
Awww my gosh i am so sorry!

I seem to be hearing more and more about fox attacks! Its one of the reasons my bunnies arent with me at my parents house, we have them daily in the garden. Instead the bunnies live at my boyfriends.

Your thread actually brought tears to my eyes.

Binky free bunnies

xx

So sorry to hear of your loss.:cry:

Foxes can, unfortunately, get everywhere and anywhere.

My 2 have full access to their hutch and attached run all day from 7am until it gets dark. I do feel guilty sometimes locking them in overnight but as we live near a large golf course with lots of gorse bushes (on the coast not in the country) we do get foxes prowling every now and again. Mainly in the winter when food is scarce but because I have seen them I always lock my 2 up on a night. My 2 only ever get full access to the garden when I am in it with them.

I know its hard but don't blame yourself - we do our best for our bunnies but sometimes circumstances are taken out of our hands.

How horrible im so sorry. I have a hutch inside a 13 foot walk in dog run and have the hutch doors open all day. I put them in the hutch every day around 8 as would worrie all night if they where out.

Many thanks Natsanth & Floppsy's Mum.
It's just incredible how we all become so attached to these innocent, adorable, trusting, affectionate critters. We've been traumatised by the loss and aren't sure what to do next. To share the loss with you all helps more than you realise. Thank you

Thats what we are all here for.:)

A chat, someone to talk to, share happy and sad times with and a shoulder to cry on when needed.

Its amazing how attached we do get to our little fluffballs.

One thing is sure though - no matter who you are, what you do, what sex your are or who/what your bunnies are - there is always someone on here to stop, listen, advise (when needed) and help.

It really is a good place to be.:)

Last edited:
Good move XShellx! Maybe I shud have been as profficient as you by securing the bunnies night time accomodation. But they're nocturnal by nature and absolutely loved being out.

I do hope it doesn't put you off maybe getting more bunnies in the future.

I know its probably not a good time to think about it now, but just remember how much happiness they bring to you, and you to them.

There are lots of bunnies out there who would love to be in a good home.

I am sure, when you are ready, you can give another bunny a really good home.

Thinking of you and your bunnies.:)

It might not have made any difference if they where in a hutch if they died from shock. My friend found her buns both dead in the hutch last month and one had a very small cut on him and other was unharmed. We think either they got in a fight or most probably scared by a fox.

Its soo hard to no whats best for them. I mean you can lock them up 24/ 7 and no harrm will come to them but what kind of life would it be.

Im really sorry for your loss and hopfully by posting on here and making us aware, people will do more to stop it happening again

I am so sorry to read about your bunnies. They are such a joy, you need to be a bunny owner (slave) to realise what wonderful creatures they are. Your bunnies were lucky to be so loved.X

awww so sad ...:(

i think sometimes you have to think quality of life over quantity of years ...

the fox might still have got them if they were locked up .. :(

i am so so sorry to hear about your loss, you were only trying to do what was best for them and nature took a nasty course.

i just want to say i really appreciate all of ou guys on here because it sometimes feels like no-one understands how much you really love your buns and when you try to explain they all look at you weirdly

I've nothing to add to what everyone else has already said, but wanted to say how sorry I am .

I'm very sorry to hear your sad news. A few people on here have lost rabbits to foxes, including me :cry: It sounds like you gave them a wonderful life, remember that.

Back