• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welded Mesh-Where Can I Buy The Strong Stuff-B&Q/Wickes Any Good?*Updated

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I'm still wanting some tough welded mesh for the new wire door that dad has said he'll do for me for Merlin's new shed that's coming soon *today!
Where can I buy it from?
I've read elsewhere that people have been getting it online but dad would prefer to see it & buy it in person. Can anyone help?
Has anyone bought it from the high street? Is it called 'welded mesh' or something else in places like B&Q, Wickes etc?

Hoping someone can help!

Last edited:
wilkinsons had rolls of it for £4 last year - with the gardening stuff - it's called 'cage mesh' :)

Yep, Wilkinson, Wickes and B&Q all sell it in rolls. If the sales assistant doesn't know what you mean ask them to point you towards the chicken wire, it is in the same place :)

If you want even tougher stuff then you can buy sheets of non-bendable stuff from wickes but they are more expensive and not that huge.

I'm still wanting some tough welded mesh for the new wire door that dad has said he'll do for me for Merlin's new shed that's coming soon.
Where can I buy it from?
I've read elsewhere that people have been getting it online but dad would prefer to see it & buy it in person. Can anyone help?
Has anyone bought it from the high street? Is it called 'welded mesh' or something else in places like B&Q, Wickes etc?

Hoping someone can help!

Collins Petfoods at Hardingstone have weldmesh and it is pretty cheap.

I wouldn't trust the cage mesh stuff for a permanent door if you're leaving it unsupervised - it can be cut with normal scissors so I imagine a fox could easily rip it off if they wanted

I bought my last lot from Wilkos... I read on here somewhere that they had it half price so I bought about 6 or 8 rolls for £1.50 each!! Is seems good quality, square and welded, 10mm squares! However it is only quite a small roll unlike the ones from B&Q, but still a good price, can't quite remember the length though off hand!

Hannah

p.s. yes you can buy absolutly everything from Wilkos!

I wouldn't trust the cage mesh stuff for a permanent door if you're leaving it unsupervised - it can be cut with normal scissors so I imagine a fox could easily rip it off if they wanted

Thanks everyone :thumb:

Am I wrong? I thought that the welded mesh was the strong stuff that was fox proof & unchewable???

Am I wrong? I thought that the welded mesh was the strong stuff that was fox proof & unchewable???

Weld mesh just means it's welded at the joins, rather than something like chainlink which is just hooped around each 'strand' of wire - you get different thicknesses. The cage mesh Elve and a few other people mentioned is quite thin stuff (hence being cheap). It's often used for rabbit runs etc but I wouldn't trust it if it was for a structure that's not supervised all the time - thicker stuff like the stuff www.johnhopewell.co.uk sells should be much more fox-proof

something I've found very useful is nursery fireguards from Argos - I have about 10 of them and use them as mobile fencing, and to put around the hutches at night with bricks to hold the rugs in place - just another obstacle to put a fox off, although nothing except a brick wall is really fox-proof

Has anyone bought theirs from the high street - ie b&q/wickes that is the good quality, strong welded mesh so I know what to buy? Help as shed arriving today!! :shock::)

If it's for their main living area then I would use the harder (non-flexible) stuff from wickes. It's more expensive and doesn't come in a roll (it's sold in sheets), but you can't be too careful for their permanent home. If you use the stuff that comes in a roll then I would use a double layer of it.

I agree with Mandy...the Wilkos mesh is fine, it's actually pretty good quality mesh and certainly can't be cut with scissors!

Welded mesh comes in different thicknesses which determines the strength - see below from weld-mesh.com

Common Applications
Light Mesh 19g = 1mm dia wire 23g = 0.7mm dia wire
Suitable for bird feeders and louvers in 23g and rabbit and chicken pens in 19g

Medium Mesh
14g = 2mm dia wire 16g = 1.6mm dia wire
Suitable for fruit caging, stronger chicken and rabbit pens if you have a problem with foxes or vermin and some light fencing in 14g

The stuff in rolls in B&Q etc is usually the thinner stuff which I personally wouldn't use. Wickes sell a sturdier version in 3' x 2' sheets for £5 but it's cheaper by the roll online elsewhere.

Mike

Last edited:
I agree with Mandy...the Wilkos mesh is fine, it's actually pretty good quality mesh and certainly can't be cut with scissors!

Don't have a Wilkos that local to me but other than the green plastic stuff, the only other mesh I've seen has looked the same/thinner than the stuff I used to line one of the rat cages (bars were too wide), and I cut that with scissors.

Don't have a Wilkos that local to me but other than the green plastic stuff, the only other mesh I've seen has looked the same/thinner than the stuff I used to line one of the rat cages (bars were too wide), and I cut that with scissors.

It is completely rigid and seems quite thick - not like the stuff coated in plastic at all. I had to use wire cutters on it, and even that was quite difficult to do. I agree with Amy that you couldn't cut the Wilkos' mesh with scissors.

Last edited:
Back