• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Rabbit Likes Pooping inside

b_man

New Kit
We have a lovely lop eared rabbit but our one bugbear with it is that it consistently poos in our bathroom, the rabbit predominantly lives outside but when we leave the door open it hops inside and races to the bathroom and poos all over the floor, we would be happy to have the rabbit inside if it could contain its poos to a litter tray or something, we recently had it nutered as it was suggested that this may solve the problem... any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

I would just be happy he isnt peeing all over the floor :) Both my boys use their tray for everything but my girls poop all over the floor, it only takes a minute to sweep up when they are done :lol:

Just keep placing them in his litter tray and he should get the idea

OMG.....My lappy has just had another tea soaking over the title of this thread :lol::lol::lol:

Any more help

That hasn't worked, and Rabs still poo's everywhere, do they poo when they are nevous? Our rabbit doesnt seem fussy where he does his business, he kinda just scatter poos everywhere he goes....

My wife is tearing her hair out!!!

Rabbits scatter poops to mark their territory. It tends to be worse if they have part time access to an area as they have to remark each time they visit.

Do you use the same tray in the hutch as when you bring him inside that may help. Although with my bun I found even moving the tray didn't help much though having free access back to the tray in it's normal position did.

Is your rabbit neutered? That tends to make a big difference as they don't feel the need to mark their territory as much.

Tamsin

he's probably just scent marking the area that smells strongest of humans :) If you want him to be litter trained in the house you need at least 3 large litter trays or underbed storage boxes, with hay in, and must restrict his area at first till he understands to use them - use a baby gate, or nursery fireguards, or shut doors so he's not able to go to the bathroom except in his trays :)

PS - it does take a few months for their hormones to die down after neutering - so hopefully that will help too

Back