• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you NOT feed pellets?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
Can you cut pellets out of a rabbits diet? I've heard of some bunnies being on just hay and veggies, how would you go about doing this, or is it difficult and dangerous?

if i see one stray cecal poop i stop pellets for 24 hours. i keep him on the bare minimum otherwise, less than an egg cup a day.

i know they don't really need them at all but i know he enjoys them so i won't be stopping!

What's a cecal poop? :oops: Just so I can look out for them :p

Mine get a small amount, around a very small handful twice a day between 2. They get veg in the morning and he bulk is hay.

What's a cecal poop? :oops: Just so I can look out for them :p

Mine get a small amount, around a very small handful twice a day between 2. They get veg in the morning and he bulk is hay.

it's the night poops that look like a bunch of grapes and smell foul! they eat them but if, for example, they eat too many pellets they don't bother. if my bun has a few too many pellets or too much veg, he'll leave one or two.

My bunny is on just hay and dried herbs now, as she can't tolerate anything else.

Benny has so few pellets they're really just a treat - he only has a teaspoon full morning and evening to get him in his hutch easily - he eats a ton of hay in the day, and a small amount of veg, and he's still a bit chubby, although slimming down now I make him run round the patio several times a day :)

Yes, it's called the hay & veggie diet. It's basically mimicking what rabbits would naturally eat. The important thing is getting a good variety of veg to get all the different vitamins & minerals. Although we think of rabbits as eating grass then actually eat a variety of different plants/weeds too :)

there is one good thing about pellet for house rabbits though - vitamin D - normally they'd get this from sunlight on their skin, but if they don't get out much or at all, a few good quality pellets will supply this for them (check it's added on the ingredients list)

Back