• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another food question. Sorry. Need your help.

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Hi. Smudge is 10 weeks old. He has unlimited hay but doesn't seem interested in that. He is in a hutch in the shed. He loves to go out in his run before work in the mornings for 1/2 hour and after work for an hour and our garden isn't lovely grass - it's FULL of dandylions! he eats those aplenty. He is happy and binkys a lot. He also has Excel pellets. Is it O.K. for him to eat so many dandylions? If I have to restrict them I don't know what I'll do cos there just isn't isn't much plain grass there - all weeds! He poos well and appears very settled and healthy.

If his poo,s are fine with eating dandelions then that is fine:D
You could do with trying him to eat more hay though.What hay are you feeding him at the moment?

Meadow hay. (Dust extracted) He has tried Timothy Hay too but not keen. He'll nibble it but not eating lots of either.

how much pellets is bun getting? if he gets to many, he'll turn his nose up at hay.

also, my bun was a bit funny about hay as a baby, now he eats tons and tons!

are his poops okay?

Yeah, :oops: probably too much. I give a handful in the morning, and a handful in the evening. He has grass to munch on for about 1 - 2 hours per day when in his run.

Yeah, :oops: probably too much. I give a handful in the morning, and a handful in the evening. He has grass to munch on for about 1 - 2 hours per day when in his run.

what breed is your bun? my little monster is a mini lop and he has less than an egg cup per day, when he was 10 weeks it was probably one and a half egg cups. buns need very few pellets and it should only make up 5% of their diet.

i did find a rule of 1 ounce of pellets per 1lb of rabbit, that's quite helpful. i bet if you cut down on the pellets, hay would become more appealing.

don't forget that he's still a baby at 10 weeks too, mine didn't really consume alot in comparison to now. :shock: i don't know where he puts it all!!

as long as he has an appetite and he's pooping for england, it's all good! :wave:

My two have just over a shot glass between them daily, spread out over two meals. I watch them eating absolutely loads of hay so I think thats a good amount of pellets.

Maybe try him with different types of hay. Excel do a nice soft grassy one which is just called Excel Forage, or a Timothy mix with dried herbs called Herbage. My buns find both these irresistible!

Back