• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Over grooming

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone known their rabbit to over groom/pluck their own fur, due to stress?

I noticed a couple of days ago that Tinkerbells legs are becoming quite bald. I assumed at first that she had cut or hurt herself but, upon close examination, there is absolutely nothing on either leg.

She is hopping and walking around on them as normal but I have also noticed that she seems to be grooming herself all over quite vigorously.

Any suggestions?

Aww bless her, Tilly overgroomed when Charlie died...and I think one of my other buns has done at some point. Im not sure there is a cure really :( Sending hugs to Tinkerbell X

Yes, my foster bunny Tundra (speyed today) went through a combination of overgrooming and plucking (nest related) which meant her tail, inside legs and flanks all went bald. It looked particularly bad as she is a Cashmere cross.

her fur is now growing back and hopefully the spey will sort out the nesting issue.

Becki, how long did Tilly overgroom for?

Teal'c, Tinkerbells partner died a few weeks ago. She has around 17 hours or so out of the hutch every day.

Sooz, Tinkerbell was speyed 2 years ago.

Sooz, Tinkerbell was speyed 2 years ago.

Oh no I didn't mean that, I knew Tinkerbell was speyed....Tundra stress groomed because of her false pregnancies. I would assume Tinkerbells was due to grief. :cry:

Becki, how long did Tilly overgroom for?

I cant quite remember now, I dont think it started until Charlie had been gone a while & I know it went on a good while. There was nothing significant that stopped her doing it, it just did. Its truly awful though watching a bun grieve & I totally sympathise with you :( X

Soz Sooz, thought you meant that maybe Tinkerbell wasn't speyed and that was why she was doing it :oops:

Tinkerbell was a house bunny before she was bonded with Simba. She had free range of the kitchen 24 hours of the day. The kitchen here isn't suitable for her to be free range but she seems at her most depressed when I put her away at night at about 10pm. Soooo, I have a metal pen which is quite large which I'm going to put up in the kitchen along with her litter tray etc just for night time use to see if she prefers being in then.

At present, she spends the whole evening inside with us (her choice) and never seems to want to be out on her own during the night.

I'll give it a go and see how she is. At the moment she is outside sunning herself on the lawn :D

Back