• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flys??

bramblewillow

Warren Scout
what do you all do to discourage flys

both our bunnies toilet in set places in their cages so those areas get cleaned out every day about 5pm and cleaned with hutch cleaner for pets.

then every sunday the whole cage is cleaned and use hutch cleaner and in summer once a month clean throughly with zoflora disinfectant so it can dry in the sun.

still have problems with flys hanging around cages though - in the past have sprayed outside of cage with fly spray when bunny out of cage and this helped (did this last summer).

theres got to be a solution

flys and wasps so pointless i hate them!!:lol:

I find that lemon scented woodshavings from P@H help.
I'm also in the process of making a mozzy net for the front of my hutches, and also one for the runs.

I spray the hutch and run with very dilute Jeyes fluid. I have it in a spray bottle that I keep handy. I don't put it where the buns can get it, but it's safe once it's dry. I also wash the litter trays and patio/run area with it. Flies HATE it. They vanish as soon as I spray it. :)

You have that problem, too? D: I keep thinking I'm a bad, bad bunny mummy because the flies still come, even when I clean them daily. They come and stand on the walls of the hutch... and they're weird little black things. My method is usually, when I clean them out, I squish the little :censored: as they appear. Flies (when in the hutches) are the only thing I can make myself kill. :/

I'm going to plant lots of lavender, basil, thyme, larkspur, cat nip and nigella though. I've read that due to the scent of these plants work as a natural deterrant for flies? Basil and thyme can both be fed to bunnies, too (I think thyme is a natural wormer, into the bargin!) although the rest can be dangerous to rabbits if eaten, so I'm keeping them out of reach, but around and near to the hutches. Hope that helps a little. ^^

mine are indoors but they have permanent fly screens at the window (you could easily attach it to all the mesh of the run/hutch to stop flies getting in) i also have fly catchers stuck to the window and fly paper coming down from the roof. litter tray cleaned out regularly too :D

I've bought some rentokil blocks which absolutely STINK - not sure if it repels flies but it repels me :shock: I stand one partly opened (they have an adjustable sliding top) on top of the hutch next to the shed door. got them from wilkinsons - about £2.50 each I think but they last a good while :) also got some citronella barbeque candles from there, incase we have any muggy hot summer nights :?

I've bought some rentokil blocks which absolutely STINK - not sure if it repels flies but it repels me :shock: I stand one partly opened (they have an adjustable sliding top) on top of the hutch next to the shed door. got them from wilkinsons - about £2.50 each I think but they last a good while :) also got some citronella barbeque candles from there, incase we have any muggy hot summer nights :?

Good idea Elve, goes off down to Wilkinsons

Ive got a load of old net curtains ( almost like Voile ) to hang over the hutches, and when it gets mega hot, will ditch the shavings and just use a litter tray on top of the lino, plus citronella on the outside of the hutches

I do litter trays twice a day anyway, which helps. I also disinfect with animal safe disinfectant once a week.

I have old net curtains over the run in summer and at the playhouse windows, I just dab a bit of citronella on them and that seegs to help stop the bugs.

Elve, I'm also off to raid Wilkinsons!

I do litter trays twice a day anyway, which helps. I also disinfect with animal safe disinfectant once a week.

I have old net curtains over the run in summer and at the playhouse windows, I just dab a bit of citronella on them and that seegs to help stop the bugs.

Elve, I'm also off to raid Wilkinsons!

oooh there's no need to move :shock: I got mine off their website ;)

*tee hee*

I found that 'Buzz Off' Citronella Concentrate from Pampered Piggies is a really good repellant to spray on things.

I've also got a sticky roll thing and some sticky window stickers from Betterware that also seem to catch plenty of flies

Back