• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch treatment question. ^^'

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Tomorrow I intend to treat the rabbit hutches, and put them back outdoors (they've been in the garage over Winter). I have wood treatment stuff that is safe for animals... But I'm wondering if the hutch should be treated on the outside, and the inside? Is it okay to treat the inside? All my bunnies have nibbled on the inside, a bit, but I don't think they do anymore. However, all of them are prone to piddling over the side of their litter trays, which soaks into the wood... I'm just wondering if, by treating it inside (maybe just on the floor, as the bunnies won't nibble the floor?) I could protect the hutch from getting wet inside, too? Is this okay to do?

I have just recently painted my hutches! And it states for exterior use only! i was always under the understanding, outside only!!

xx

it states for exterior use only!
xx

When it states for exterior use only it is refering to using it outdoors as against indoors.

It should be safe to use this inside the hutch as rabbits are just as likely to nibble the interior of the hutch as the exterior if they are running outside it. If you add some cooking oil to the treatment solution, it will repell the wet more. I have always added oil to the preservative when doing my sheds and hutches and you can see the water running down it on a rainy day.

When I bought my new hutches from Ryedales I asked the men who work for them and they confirmed that this works as a water repellent.

EDIT - forgot to say do ensure that it is thoroughly dry before putting them into it.

Last edited:
When it states for exterior use only it is refering to using it outdoors as against indoors.

It should be safe to use this inside the hutch as rabbits are just as likely to nibble the interior of the hutch as the exterior if they are running outside it. If you add some cooking oil to the treatment solution, it will repell the wet more. I have always added oil to the preservative when doing my sheds and hutches and you can see the water running down it on a rainy day.

When I bought my new hutches from Ryedales I asked the men who work for them and they confirmed that this works as a water repellent.

EDIT - forgot to say do ensure that it is thoroughly dry before putting them into it.

Oppps i feel dumb! I didnt think you were meant to pain them inside or can you!?

Let me know would look better if i did lol
Its a P@H hutch stain!

xx

Oppps i feel dumb! I didnt think you were meant to pain them inside or can you!?

Let me know would look better if i did lol
Its a P@H hutch stain!

xx

The important thing is to make sure it is properly dried before putting them in to it.

Thank you very much for that reply. ^^

How much cooking oil should be added? I've heard of it being used before to repel water, but was never sure how much should be added... I'm hoping for another bright hot day tomorrow, to turf the four of them out into runs so I can paint and let it have most the day drying.

Back