• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

odd experience at vets.

Radish

Mama Doe
hi

just took sparrow round to the vets near my house(not my nice vet where i work as i couldn't get over there today).

i wanted her checked over and to get vet to see if he could feel any evidence of her being pregnant.

anyway he said it's unlikely that she's pregnant and he said she must have the myxo anyway as there's a high risk round here.

he then said she needs one myxo vacc now and a second in two weeks to give her a real high dose for the first time she has had them. i asked if he meant VHD in two weeks and he said no.

he said VHD isn't necessary as there hasn't been an outbreak round here for eight years.( well frankly i don't want my bunny being the first to get it!!!!)

anyway i said i'd never heard of two myxo vaccines to start with and told him i only wanted her to have one and another in six months...after much faffing about he agreed BUT.......he injected the back of her neck with 90% obv the sub cut bit but put the rest into the skin in her ear!!!!!!!

I am to say the least rather peed off...he could have just injected the ten percent intradermally as he withdrew the needle from he neck surely?

i don't care if i have to walk the seven miles to my normal practice, my little Sparrow isn't seeing that vet ever again!!!!!!!

ooh did i rant:lol:

The last part of the myxi jab is suppose to go in the base of the ear, but I've never heard of a double dose of myxi. And I can't believe that vets are still not recommending the vhd jab just cos there hasn't been an outbreak, I hear about this all to often :(

Injecting in the ear is the recommended way to insure you get the correct amount intradermally :) I've never heard of two myxi jabs though :?

VHD isn't well reported unless it hits somewhere with a lot of bunnies so best to get the jab as you say :)

my usual vets (or i do it myself)inject the intradermal part of the vaccine into the skin at the back of the neck while doing the sub cut part and personally that's the way i prefer to do it, i've never had a bunny flinch and struggle when getting vaccinated in that way but Sparrow went ballistic, when he did her ear.

i shall go back to my normal vets for the VHD...if a vet has to look in a book to check how often a rabbit vaccine is needed, they can do without my business.

Back