• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is It Possible...

Kibbles

Mama Doe
To bond a neutered male and an unneutered female?

My best friend really wants me to have one of her rabbit's babies, because she knows that it will go to a good home with me :roll: Of course these babies are not and will not be neutered, but aren't there risks for female bunnies to not be neutered?
Her female is 4 years old and never had any problems, but I still don't know... :?
I really would love one of her babies, but I know that the rescues need a home too and I know my mum would never let me get the baby neutered. However I also do know that although rescues need a home, these babies also need homes and if I don't take one then that one will be sold to someone who may give the bun a bad home.

I. Am. Torn.

You really would need to get her neutered not only from the health aspect but behaviour wise to. She could get very aggressive as she got older.

definitely possible - the rescue I adopted all my girls from has an anti-spay policy, and just neuters the boys before bonding - but remember to wait that ALL IMPORTANT 8 weeks after neutering, as boys are still fertile for up to that long after they're neutered.

I bonded my unneutered female to my neutered male as a baby with no problem at all, it was easy.
However, saying that: I am definitely getting her spayed asap as she has just reached the right age because she went through 2 months of miserable phantom pregnancies where she pulled all her fur out of her underneath. :( I won't let her go through that again, plus there is the risk of cancer - and they don't show any signs of it until it is way way too late. :(
As well as that she keeps humping my poor Dougal, his head, his back, any bit of him :lol:

i have an unneutered female (treacle) and neutered male (bounce) and they get along great.

she stil gets a bit cheeky and stops thumping her feet when bounce isnt interested!!

they were in the cage together before they got to breeding age then i went and took bounce for the snip. they may get on so great because they have been together since they were babies.

Okay, thank you very much :D The bubs are ready to be rehomed in 5 weeks, so I better hurry up with that neutering :roll:

Do you think its wise chick? Not being harsh but it really best if girly buns are neutered, and you know your Mum wont allow that. And maybe it would be good to save up some more money before getting another - I know you managed to save up for Starskys Myxo vacc, but it would be double the cost! Also if you got a bun from a rescue, you'd have the support of that rescue for the whole of her life - which is always good! :D X

my girls aren't neutered and they have lived with neutered males happily :D
But do you think you'll have suitable housing by then? :)

hmm well i run a bunny boarding and i often have pairs come in where there is a neutured male and unspayed female, however, many times i see the male bullied bcus the female had so much agression.

some females unspayed are placid and friendly, but some will have terratorial aggression, have phantom pregnancies and this isnt going to be a good for starksy.

Also, she will need her myxo and VHD jabs when you get her, and you will need a much bigger hutch to house both starksy and new girly bun...

hope its given yous omething to think about x

hmm well i run a bunny boarding and i often have pairs come in where there is a neutured male and unspayed female, however, many times i see the male bullied bcus the female had so much agression.

some females unspayed are placid and friendly, but some will have terratorial aggression, have phantom pregnancies and this isnt going to be a good for starksy.

Also, she will need her myxo and VHD jabs when you get her, and you will need a much bigger hutch to house both starksy and new girly bun...

hope its given yous omething to think about x

I don't think the jabs would be a problem, because they'd have to get boosters soon anyway if from a rescue. If the bun is territorial and aggressive, I'll give the bun back to my friend as they've got plenty of housing space.

I think now that Starsky's hutch is suitable, because the hutch and run pretty much make one big hutch as they get to run around in the garden.

I know but you did say your mum has to clean the hutch, and she only does it once every 3 weeks - you would have to do it a lot more than that with 2 rabbits weeing and pooing everywhere - I would say if Starsky's happy on his own then leave him on his own, as your mum seems to have enough work to do without making more for her - I doubt she'd be too keen?

I know but you did say your mum has to clean the hutch, and she only does it once every 3 weeks - you would have to do it a lot more than that with 2 rabbits weeing and pooing everywhere - I would say if Starsky's happy on his own then leave him on his own, as your mum seems to have enough work to do without making more for her - I doubt she'd be too keen?

The cleaning bit is sorted now, I clean it myself :D

:D:D:D

The bubs are so sweet; the ones available are 2 REW's, and one that shockingly resembles an agouti even though it would make no sense whatsoever, because one parent is a REW lop, and the other is... some sort of white bunny with a few brown & beige markings :oops:

But the one that I used to really really want has already found a home, and thats a little one that looks like the dad with a little brown spot near its nose :love: and so friendly!!! :D

:D:D:D

The bubs are so sweet; the ones available are 2 REW's, and one that shockingly resembles an agouti even though it would make no sense whatsoever, because one parent is a REW lop, and the other is... some sort of white bunny with a few brown & beige markings :oops:

But the one that I used to really really want has already found a home, and thats a little one that looks like the dad with a little brown spot near its nose :love: and so friendly!!! :D

It would make sense, the babies can be (and usually are!) completely different to the parents. I'd definately get Starsky sorted out then speak to a local rescue centre - Think how satisfying it would be to know that you are making a bunny who might not have had a very nice life up to then, very happy! :D

peanut butter and jelly once had babies before i found this forum...

and they had, agouti, honey, black, rew, black and white, brown and grey, and dark chocolate colour!

they neva resemble the parents lol!

I don't think the jabs would be a problem, because they'd have to get boosters soon anyway if from a rescue. If the bun is territorial and aggressive, I'll give the bun back to my friend as they've got plenty of housing space.

I think now that Starsky's hutch is suitable, because the hutch and run pretty much make one big hutch as they get to run around in the garden.

i dont mean to offend you hun but from the piccies i saw the hutch isnt big enough, i get what u mean that its connected to a run but the actual hutch space needs to be bigger for two

Back