• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food dilemma regarding Verity - Please help, worried.

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
Since we've had Verity, we've noticed various things about her. One thing that's really worrying me is how she is with food. There's good quality hay at all times, they get a small handful of pellets in the morning and the evening, and they have greens a little while after their pellet meals as well as various healthy treats.

Verity now knows that pellets are coming when she hears me getting them out the container and she runs up to me and impatiently waits. As soon as they're in he bowl and on the floor, she gobbles them up. Benjamin likes to take his time with his food and sometimes leaves it then comes back to it when he feels like it. Verity often tries to steal his pellets when she's finished with hers, sometimes even when she's not finished! She makes sure she eats every one of her pellets and sometimes licks the bowl. She consumes them so quickly I'm not even sure if she chews them properly.

It's the same with greens, she gobbles them so quickly I don't know how she can enjoy it. She can finish withing seconds sometimes where Ben is still sitting there chewing and barely started, then again she tries to steal his. Sometimes I have to seperate them so that she doesn't steal his food :(

She takes every treat you give her too. I'm thinking maybe with her old owner (not you Jill!) that she may have not got enough food, perhaps due to being in a small hutch with another rabbit and babies? I don't really know.. But I know it's not normal. We found it cute and a little funny before, but now that it hasn't stopped; my boyfriend and I are rather worried about her.

Maybe she doesn't know if food's going to come again? Please help by giving any suggestions that come to mind, thank you.

all my bunnys are like that. I hand feed them to make sure they are all getting enough and get mobbed. Honey head butted me last night :D:D

bengamin will soon learn that if he wants food he has to get in there fast and you can suppliment his diet with a few sneeky pellets to make sure he's getting enough.

:lol: Lol, so Ben's the one that's not normal? He takes ages to eat his food, like he's really enjoying each bite and wants to savour the taste! :p

sounds exactly like sorrel. even if youve not got anything for her, hold your hand about 2' off the ground as if offering and she will leap up repeatedly to see what you've got. she swallows her pellets almost without chewing them and comes sprinting up if she hears the sound of ceramics chinking cos she knows thatss the noise of a food bowl.

i think its a good thing, at least if she goes off her food iat all you'll know somethings up.

Back