• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating hay

macy

Young Bun
my bunny doesn't seem to eat much hay, i put fresh in there morning and night but she just doesn't seem to eat much at all.
she eats her pellets no problem.
is there anything i could do to get her to eat more hay?
ive tried changing the hay to a different one but still no joy.

any advice much appreciated.

Possibly reduce the pellets? If she's full of those, so might not fancy the hay. My buns only get a handful of pellets each anyway. Also feed new hay, leave her a bit & feed pellets later?

Try mixing the pellets into the hay so she has to root around in it and take more of an interest. You could also do the same with herbs and veg. :)

What sort of bedding to you use?

My buns are much more interested in their straw bedding than the hay I provide in a rack next to their other food :roll:

hay

hi my buns dont touch theyre hay either, i put lots of fresh hay in every day and theyre just not interested, i tried cutting down their pellets etc, still wasnt interested, i came to the conclusion it must be because theyre out at grass all day, they dont have straw bedding either, just tummy must be full of grass?! are yours out on grass all day?

she has straw for her bbedding , she isn't out all day just a few hours in the afternoon normally.

Toilet roll inners are brilliant for this. Get some of her favorite food even a few pellets and stuff each end with a bit of hay. She'll have to eat some of the hay to get the treats. Don't put too much hay in at first though otherwise she'll get bored and give up.

I put a piece of banana in the middle of the loo roll and my bunny went mad for it and ate the hay. He is now a great hay eater :D

Back