• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy Hutch staining/preserving

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
posted this in chat as well but not many replys ...did you paint/varnish/preserve your happy hutch when you first got it it comes already with red cedar colour on the outside and untreated on the inside so not sure what I need to do with it now. If I need to use wood preserver which ones are safe thanks!

I did because I found the colour too bright for my taste.

I used Cuprinol which is safe for animals but I kept the buns away while while it was wet. Although it was pre-treated where the screws had gone in untreated wood was exposed so I made sure I dabbed extra on them.

Cuprinol comes in a vast range of colours too, I went for Dark oak because it made the hutch and run look nice and grand lol.

It is a good idea to preserve it each year! I used cupronol gargen shades (one in the heritage range because I was feeling posh!), it says harmless to pets. I've also used one from Wilkos before, best to make sure that whatever ou buy, it says safe for animals if you are going to use it somewhere they can get to!

Happy Painting

Hannah

I didn't treat mine at all, as I am waiting for the predipped colour to weather and fade before applying a new colour. I do the same with sheds/fence panels. I put lino on the floor on the inside so that bit is sorted. but may treat the sides on the inside when I do the outside. I like to paint garden buildings and stuff in the Cuprinol Forest Green, as it makes objetcs blend in better. I will be using the 5 year Ducks back stuff as it dries a nice deep matt colour, but has a slight shine close up from the waterproof wax. It is also safe around animals. It should be, me and the kids get enough off it on us when painting the sheds!

The big tub from B&Q works out about 1.50p cheaper than buying the smaller tins from Wilkinsons, but is the same stuff. Depends how much you need!

Back