• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

10.30am in our pond....

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
....it's time for the little frogs to go to school, and the big ones to have a chat.

May2008045.jpg

May2008044.jpg

May2008043.jpg

You should see 5 frogs in this photo:

May2008042.jpg

How did they manage to kill your fish? Were the fish really small?

Well about 2inches.

We started to find dead fish with big gaping wounds on their sides. We could not work out was causing it and asked at our local aquatics and he said "Do you have frogs?" to which we had lots and he said they get on the backs of them thinking they are other frogs and erm ride them :oops: Sadly the pressure they put on them, causes big gaping wounds on either side :cry: Theres nothing you can do about it. We lost about ten or so fish within a few days. We no longer have a pond now as my dad was too upset by it as they were his fish. The frogs naturally keep coming back though:roll:

Last edited:
Well about 2inches.

We started to find dead fish with big gaping wounds on their sides. We could not work out was causing it and asked at our local aquatics and he said "Do you have frogs?" to which we had lots and he said they get on the backs of them thinking they are other frogs and erm ride them :oops: Sadly the pressure they put on them, causes big gaping wounds on either side :cry: Theres nothing you can do about it. We lost about ten or so fish within a few days. We no longer have a pond now as my dad was too upset by it as they were his fish. The frogs naturally keep coming back though:roll:

I have never heard this before. Normally these kind of injuries are caused by herons that try to catch the fish and don't quite manage. My dad lost quite a few trout to injuries caused by herons.
Frogs don't have suckers on their feet, so how would they be able to cause gaping wounds? They hold on to other frogs during mating season, and don't cause them any wounds.
Another cause of the injuries could be from a cat's claws. Or even a magpie, they try to grab almost everything in our pond. :(

Back