• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit treatment..off licence, what you use.

rspcarabbits

Warren Scout
This sort of follows on from the vet thread I started but is aimed at what you or your vet use or have prescribed off licence...let me explain.

At the present time according to the vet compendium there are only 25 products licensed for use on rabbits. This is a depressingly small number and lots of vets use other products off licence to good effect. Also owners also use other products to good effect to treat lots of ailments.It also follows to tell us about things that have not worked or been detrimental to your rabbits health.

The idea of this tread is to try and list what is prescribed or used. It would be helpful if you could list....

1 what the product is,
2 what it has been used for
3 dosage
4 results

For instance we use....
1 lavender oil.
2 bathing sore areas especially rear end or wounds
3 3-4 drops in a small basin of warm water
4 remarkable.. it really does aid healing of wounds and soothing of really sore areas. It helps take away redness and whats more it does not appear to in any way irritate the skin. In the past vets at my wifes practice have used it (skeptically at first)but been impressed by the results.

All we ask is that the info is not second hand but what you have personally experienced and obviously no vets names or practices to be mentioned unless they have previously publicly published their findings..

All info is relavant when you consider that one licenced rabbit product recently brought out obtained its licence on the back of a study carried out 5 years previously on only 4 rabbits!... it may well have been a clinical study but the way in which the results were extrapolated and the product licenced would surprise most of us.

Hope many of you can help

Many thanks

Alan.

Do you mean all the different abx that may be prescribed 'off licence' aswell as the analgesics etc....etc ?

Or is it just 'comlementary/'natural' treatments you are interested in ?

Janex

Anything

Do you mean all the different abx that may be prescribed 'off licence' aswell as the analgesics etc....etc ?

Or is it just 'comlementary/'natural' treatments you are interested in ?

Janex

What I mean by off licence is anything....my example was lavender oil but we are interested in litereally anything that has worked as a treatment for rabbits....off licence drugs...complementary/natural...human medicine ...whatever.

If you see someone has already mentioned it and you have used it too , we need to know because the more that something is used to good effect the more credence the treatment will have .

Hi Alan :wave: I've used Zithromax for pneumonia, as prescribed by my vet - this is not licensed for use in buns. Had very good results with it. Also used Oxytetracycline for snuffles/respiratory disorders to good effect (I used to give injections every few days) although I don't know if this is licensed for use in buns or not. Since I don't know what is actually licensed for buns, it may be helpful if someone could list the products.

Assuming you're Alan from Norfolk, Flora and Parsnip say 'hi' :bunny:!! You could always try speaking to my vet (you know who he is) - I'm sure he'd be only too happy to tell you what he's used successfully on bunnies.

I order the panacur liquid the other day but was daft enough to say it was for rabbits. Even though it is exactly the same stuff as the paste (but about three times as cheap for longer doses on multiple rabbits) it is not licensed for rabbits so the company phoned my up to say they could not supply and I had to get a small amount of paste which will last about 2 weeks & then I might re order having aquired "a dog".

It can be ordered by prescription from the vet.

I am fortunate that I have not had to use many treatments as yet but apart from the usual metacam, baytril and septrin, infacol etc. I did change one of the prescribed ear drops for ear wax to the homeopathic ones and would also consider the homeopathic eye drops should I ever need too as the ear drops worked wonders compared to the vet prescribed one.

In my cupboard though, I have

Vitamin E
infacol
probiotic
echancia
buscopan
kamilisan (sp)
metacam
panacur liquid
the powder for wounds (sorry cannot remember the name)
ss recovery food
Infant olbas oil
active v8
assisi lotion

think that is about it without looking:?

what I would consider though if needs ever arise would be

Manuka honey
benadryl after seeing the Dana Krempel article
and now lavender oil as I know that lavender oil is a great healer for many ailments:D

ETA: imodium (sp) to the list of would consider;)

Last edited:
oooh I want some lavendar oil now :shock:

I'm not sure if metronidazole is approved or not - it cured Maa's head abscess (half a tablet daily for average sized bunny - 8 days treatment - no side effects)
I've also used infacol, asprin, rennies to treat stasis successfully (200ml warm water with half an asprin and one fruit rennie ground up in it - 10ml every hour, preceded by 1ml of infacol)
bromelain tablets from holland and barrett (40mg chewable) to help pass fur through when they're moulting (one every other day)
have also used optrex, and brolene eye ointment on a piggie when needed
I use alphosyl shampoo for fungal infections with piggies - nizoral is another one you can use

Hi Mackers

Hi Alan :wave: I've used Zithromax for pneumonia, as prescribed by my vet - this is not licensed for use in buns. Had very good results with it. Also used Oxytetracycline for snuffles/respiratory disorders to good effect (I used to give injections every few days) although I don't know if this is licensed for use in buns or not. Since I don't know what is actually licensed for buns, it may be helpful if someone could list the products.

Assuming you're Alan from Norfolk, Flora and Parsnip say 'hi' :bunny:!! You could always try speaking to my vet (you know who he is) - I'm sure he'd be only too happy to tell you what he's used successfully on bunnies.

hi Mackers

You're assumption is correct ....thanks for the great photos of Parsnip and Flora...two very lucky buns. I will contact Simon re above, can you remember the dosages for the above products?

Vets compendium.

The following products are licensed for use on rabbits in the Vets compendium.

Advantage
Aureomycin Topical powder
Cycostat66G
Cylap
Fucithalmic Vet
Hypnorm
Isoba
Isofane
Isoflo
Lapinject vhd
Lapizole
Lethobarb
Mycozole
Nobivac Myxo
Panacur rabbit
Pharmaq Ivermectin drops 0.8%
Rearguard
Receptal
Sacox120 microgranulate
Sterilised Water for injections BP
Tiacil Opthalmic Solution
Xenex Ultra Spot on
Xeno 50-mini
Xeno200 spray
Xeno 450

Baytril is licensed for all small mammals and also a commonly used product...metacam for pain relief is not on there which I am sure we have all used at some point or other so that product is one of those used off licence.

If you take out the Lethobarb and Sterilised Water ( the first of which is highly effective in treating all rabbits for everything.......permanently!)it does not leave much....you ought to see the list for sheep in comparison , I only counted up to the products beginning with D and there are 55 of them!

So keep them coming and if you can remember the dosage or what for ,that would be great.

Also if anybody knows of any published lists of said products used on rabbits that also would be great.

Alan

Hi Alan. I'm afraid I can't remember the dosage for Oxytetracycline - it was certainly less than 1ml per jab for a 2.3kg bunny. I'm taking Flora and Parsnip for their VHD jabs on Friday so I'll ask Simon when I'm there.

As for Zithromax, I happened to write it down - this was for Folly and she weighed approx 2.3kg. It's a powder for oral suspension @ 200mg/5ml. One bottle contains powder to prepare 15ml of suspension. You need to divide the powder into two halves. Mix one half of it with 4.5ml of tap water and give 2ml once daily for four to five days. Once you've used up the first half, you then mix up the second lot with 4.5ml of tap water (it goes off so you shouldn't just mix it all up in one batch). The dosage is then 2ml every other day until you've used up all the remaining liquid. You can just about get 5 doses from half the powder but it's a bit hit and miss - Simon just said once you've used up the first bottle dosing every day, be that four days or five days, just go onto the second bottle and start dosing every other day. If I remember correctly, Simon said this medication has a 'cumulative' effect on the body and if given for too long, can start to have a detrimental effect, possibly even becoming poisonous. Now this is said in layman's terms - Simon obviously said it in 'vet speak' but I'm sure it was this particular medication.

I couldn't work out how a total of 9ml of liquid created sufficient for approximately 10 doses at 2ml each but it does! It must be something to do with the volume of the powder too.

Last edited:
Back