• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hints for keeping the buns cool

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
What is the best way to keep the buns cool this summer?

The shed is an oven, and marsha has been in her run all day but its SO HOT.

Thanks x

Im really struggling with this at the moment.

So far i have filled pop bottles with water and frozen them and i have also used marble mats that i use for chinchillas. You put them in the fridge and then into the hutches, about £4 from pet stores! P@H the cheapest!!!

xx

Is there anyway you could put in a fan in the shed. I used to put ice cubes in the water bottle.:)

I could, but it would be costly to run, which i don't mind heating in winter...

im going to pop one of the windows out and put mesh and fly screen on it i think./...

x

or should i say my parents can do that next time they are here as nick will kill me if i damage the shed!!

A fan isn't that costly to run that's what i use in the house for the bunnies.You don't want them to overheat,sheds are soooooooooo warm in this weather.

Mine are inside buns but as it is heating up I will be putting a fan next to them. Nodoubt Billy will do his "L'oreal" pose! Coz he is worth it! :lol:

My lot have fans that sit in the front of the hutches. Biscuit crashes out in front of it everytime, so I'm scared Wuzzle doesn't get any cool air. Poor little man is all fluff!!

2 litre pop bottles filled with water and frozen so they can lie next to them as the please.

Yep this is what I use, wrapped in a tea towel. :D: They take all day to thaw and I just put them back in the freezer again over night. I do use a tall upright fan on the really hot days too, just so they get a bit of a breeze.:D

We have a cage fan on our hutch/shed, worth it. We also use frozen bottles. We have an insulated cover on atm which is being turned around so the silver reflects the sun away.

I had to puy my bunnies out in their runs last night because it was 24 degrees in the shed at eight o;clock.I put wet towels over the runs in the day so at least they can get some shade if they decide to stay in the runs.They also go under the bushes in the garden and if it gets really hot they come in and lie down with the dogs as its cooler in the house.Bunnies have such small lungs and its so easy for them to over heat.

Back