• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why....Why......Why......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.........Are there still so many Vets who dont think Rabbits need pain relief when they are poorly :evil:

Sorry, but I had to get that off my chest :oops: I cant believe I still read so many threads where a Bun has not been given any analgesia when its the first thing the Vet would think of when treating a Cat or a Dog

:censored:

Janex

I TOTALLY agree.....thankfully the vets I use now administer pain relief to my buns whenever they need it. My ex vet did not. Hence the 'ex'! :roll: :evil: :evil:

I TOTALLY agree.....thankfully the vets I use now administer pain relief to my buns whenever they need it. My ex vet did not. Hence the 'ex'! :roll: :evil: :evil:

Its ridiculous because Buns internalise pain and the physiological consequences of uncontrolled pain is a much more poorly Bun :cry:

Janex

I agree - most of the vets I use I'm impressed with, but a few I'm not bothered about. I have requested pain relief before now:?

I agree - most of the vets I use I'm impressed with, but a few I'm not bothered about. I have requested pain relief before now:?

A while back someone posted about their Bun having surgery to excise a jaw abscess and Bun was sent home with no pain relief at all :shock: :cry:
I bet the Vet would be screaming for morphine if he/she had had a tooth root abscess hoicked out.

Grrrrrrrrrrr it makes me so cross :evil:

Janex

It does seem weird doesnt it.

My vet always give my buns metacam if she suspects they are in pain distress. Especially for stasis. Something to do with training perhaps? Which university they studied at.

what really annoys me about rabbit care is that if I can find it out on the internet, why can't a vet? It's not rocket science is it? :shock:

it wont be a mistake ill let my vet get away with again.... im gonna see if i can ban holidays of my fav vets so i never have to go to halesowen again :roll::roll:

I cant believe how many threads there have been lately where no analgesic has been given. It's absolutely shocking in this day and age.

You will be pleased to hear IT IS being taught at vet school though.....but I suspect older 'experienced' surgeons may laugh at the newbies if they suggest it :cry:

My opinion of vets has slipped dramatically recently, mainly due to a new vets inability to diagnose correctly and animals suffering due to her incompetence.

When I first got charm I took him to an emergancy vet who did not administer pain relief. I didn't think to ask for it (She also said his back teeth weren't "too badly overgrown")I took him to a vet I'd used before after that and the first thing they gave me was pain medicine for him. They also wanted to know how the other one hadn't bothered giving him any.

Ditto. Same problem over here. And in far more than 1 vet that I encountered. Best guess is their knowledge on rabbit are still behind compares to dogs/cats.

i think the worst thing is many people don't know enough about thair animals to argue with a vet. you immediatly assume that is person knows more about the animal than you do so it only makes sence to listen to what they say.

:shock::cry: AS JANE SAID THE BUN THAT WAS SENT HOME WITHOUT NO PAIN RELEIF WAS MY BUN, AFTER SPEAKING TO JANE (HAS ID NEVER ENCOUNTERED THIS BEFORE) I ASKED MY VET WHY BILLY HADNT BEEN GIVEN METECAM, AND HER REPLY WAS SHE THOUGHT HE,D COPE AS HE WAS A STRONG BUNNY AND HAD PULLED THROUGH GREAT AFTER FIRST OP!!!:shock: .NEEDLESS TO SAY I DONT GO THERE NO MORE, BUT WHEN YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MEDICINE ETC WITH RABBITS YOU HAVE TO TRUST THESE PROFESSIONALS, MUST ADMIT I FEEL LIKE I LET BILLY DOWN BIG TIME, BUT I TRUSTED MY VET, HOW WRONG WAS I!!!

:shock::cry: AS JANE SAID THE BUN THAT WAS SENT HOME WITHOUT NO PAIN RELEIF WAS MY BUN, AFTER SPEAKING TO JANE (HAS ID NEVER ENCOUNTERED THIS BEFORE) I ASKED MY VET WHY BILLY HADNT BEEN GIVEN METECAM, AND HER REPLY WAS SHE THOUGHT HE,D COPE AS HE WAS A STRONG BUNNY AND HAD PULLED THROUGH GREAT AFTER FIRST OP!!!:shock: .NEEDLESS TO SAY I DONT GO THERE NO MORE, BUT WHEN YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MEDICINE ETC WITH RABBITS YOU HAVE TO TRUST THESE PROFESSIONALS, MUST ADMIT I FEEL LIKE I LET BILLY DOWN BIG TIME, BUT I TRUSTED MY VET, HOW WRONG WAS I!!!

No way did you let Billy down. The Vet let you both down. We shouldn't have to be one step ahead when seeking professional advice about our Rabbit's Health. We are paying for the consultation and should expect a reasonable standard of service.
So please dont think you let Billy down in any way.

Janex

This is the reason I don't ever use the local vet anymore - when Mopsey ripped her ear they sent her home with nothing telling me they would amputate the next day (my usual vet sewed it back together) - fortunately I had some metacam at home so didn't stick around to argue or pay the emergency fee they certainly couldn't justify charging me - I rang and told them I wouldn't pay it and would be reporting them to the RCVS :evil:

Thankyou Jane,... Wished I Had Taken Him To Were Im Now Taking Poppy, The First Time I Went The Vet Jo Was Treating A Bun With Jaw Abcesses With Injections Of Depholian(think Ive Spelt It Wrong) What Jane Had Suggested To Me!! My O/h Read My Mind And Told Me To Stop Torturing Myself.but I Totally Agree Why Are Rabbits Not As Equal/important As Other Animal In Some Vets Eyes, Rabbits Are Fantastic, Loving Animals And Our Lives Would Be So Empty Without Them!!

It upsets me sometimes the amount of posts on this forum attacking vets. Yes they make mistakes and some are plain incompetant when it comes to rabbits. At the end of the day the course content does not cover rabbits in the detail that it should. However please show them respect as they have managed to get onto the hardest course in the country, have studied for 5 years and done placements throughout most of the academic holidays. They are expected to be experts in every species and that is impossible. You will always get some vets that take the time to learn more about rabbits and develop their practical skills better than others. It is the general vet with no interest in rabbits that should refer ask for help from other vets before treating it wrong.

It upsets me sometimes the amount of posts on this forum attacking vets. Yes they make mistakes and some are plain incompetant when it comes to rabbits. At the end of the day the course content does not cover rabbits in the detail that it should. However please show them respect as they have managed to get onto the hardest course in the country, have studied for 5 years and done placements throughout most of the academic holidays. They are expected to be experts in every species and that is impossible. You will always get some vets that take the time to learn more about rabbits and develop their practical skills better than others. It is the general vet with no interest in rabbits that should refer ask for help from other vets before treating it wrong.

That's true and I am not attacking all Vets:)
However, if a Vet chooses to go into a Small Animal Practice then I dont think it unreasonable for the fee paying client to expect the same level of care for the third most popular domestic Pet. I have no problem with a Vet who does not know all the answers but is willing to find out/refer on. But all too often we hear that just doesnt happen. There is a real feeling of 'its just a Rabbit'

The problem needs to be addressed during training if we stand any chance of changing the situation re a distinct lack of Bunny Savvy Vets.

Janex

Back