• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help, Urgent

craig

New Kit
had to take my rabbit to vets with GI statis he gave her 2 injections metoclopramide and tribrissen all i know is 1 is an anti biotic and told me to come back tomorrow for some different medication because he didn't have this stuff there today also to give her 1 ml of olive oil every couple of hours after 4 hours of having the injections and to syringe feed her some nuggets if she doesn't start eating later.
she had some excel lite nuggets last night at about 9 pm and nothing since
what else can i do to help?
what are her chances of pulling through?:cry:

Alvin had to be hospitalised when he got it, but he came home the next day all fine.. he had to have a drip of fluids 2 gut stimulants and 2 pain killer shots over night before he picked up.. if your bun dont start to get better you should go back to the vets for more injections maybe even be admitted :(

well shes drinking from a syringe, shes had 8 so far so no poblems drinking is that a good sign?

Hello

The Vet should also have administered pain relief to your Rabbit. From what you have said this did not happen :?

Also, I am affraid I strongly disagree with administering Olive Oil as this will coat any ingesta already in your Buns guts and it will make it impossible for the ingesta to absorb water.

What your Bunny needs, aswell as the Metoclopromide ( a gut motility stimulant) is pain relief and fluids ( fluids both by mouth and by subcutaneous injection or intravenous drip)

I would advise you to contact the Vet again to request pain relief and sub/cut fluids. In the meantime I would try to syringe your Bun some cooled boiled water. At least 10ml then repeat again in an hour.

Is your Bun still bright within himself? Trying to keep him moving about will also help stimulate the guts.

Janex

Drinking is good as it will keep the contents of the stomach hydrated. Also good that it sounds like she's taking it without too much trouble.

I'd be weary of the olive oil though. :?

what he said was there is a build up of bacteria and that the olive oil will stop any fermentation because it will pop the bubbles or froth allowing her to pass wind because she is bloated

Hello

The Vet should also have administered pain relief to your Rabbit. From what you have said this did not happen :?

Also, I am affraid I strongly disagree with administering Olive Oil as this will coat any ingesta already in your Buns guts and it will make it impossible for the ingesta to absorb water.

What your Bunny needs, aswell as the Metoclopromide ( a gut motility stimulant) is pain relief and fluids ( fluids both by mouth and by subcutaneous injection or intravenous drip)

I would advise you to contact the Vet again to request pain relief and sub/cut fluids. In the meantime I would try to syringe your Bun some cooled boiled water. At least 10ml then repeat again in an hour.

Is your Bun still bright within himself? Trying to keep him moving about will also help stimulate the guts.

Janex

I agree - water and pain relief are all he needs for now - forcefeeding and gut stimulants are dangerous unless the vet has checked there's no blockage in the gut, antibiotics are unneccessary and will damage the good bacteria in the gut, and olive oil? :shock:

Hopefully if you keep syringing water (I do 10ml an hour then let it soak in) he will be OK in a few hours - please let us know :)

she is drinking on her own just not from her water bottle should i keep going until shes had enough or will 2 much be bad

what he said was there is a build up of bacteria and that the olive oil will stop any fermentation because it will pop the bubbles or froth allowing her to pass wind because she is bloated

infacol is a better idea - it's a baby wind medicine - I give 1ml of that, then water, then repeat every hour - infacol has no side-effects as it's not absorbed by the gut, it just disperses wind

he gave her mild anti biotics because he said there could be a build up of bacteria in her gut so giving her this would help her to lower numbers and reduce bloat. is this right?

she is drinking on her own just not from her water bottle should i keep going until shes had enough or will 2 much be bad

If she's drinking on her own then she can't be feeling too bad - my bunny that gets this problem just sits in a corner and won't move or eat. It's preferable to give water in a bowl anyway - none of mine have a bottle, as they do drink more from a dish, especially if warmed with a splash of boiling water from the kettle - and it's crucial to their gut health :)

i think he said the medication he was giving her tomorrow is for wind so i will mention that. thankyou

he gave her mild anti biotics because he said there could be a build up of bacteria in her gut so giving her this would help her to lower numbers and reduce bloat. is this right?

Is she actually bloated? My rabbit Pepsi got bloat and it looked like he had a tennis ball in his chest - the vet gave metaclopromide and told me to force feed him :cry: worst thing you can do as there's too much pressure on the gut wall and it ruptures. I believe you should be gentle when they get like this - quite often some infacol and water will help it chug its way through and there will be a sudden gurgle and the rabbit will sit up and look better. When they are moulting, if food's passing too slowly due to not enough fibre in the diet, the hair can get all stuck to the gut contents, then it dries out as it's moving slowly, bacteria build up and the rabbit feels full as it's full of gas - so it stops eating.

well when the vet was feeling her gut she was very uncomfortable and her stomach does seem hard and swolen

Is she toileting at all? Im suprised the vet gave her abx if she is not showing signs of an infection as antibiotics damage good gut flora as well as bad bacteria.

She really should have some painrelief and your vet really should have that in stock too.

Infacol is far better than Olive Oil as its chemically inert and breaks down the gas bubbles however I would not give it unless your rabbit actually has bloat, as opposed to GI stasis.

Please dont give her olive oil, for the same reason as Paraffin it is not recommended:

Doseing the rabbit with oil based lubricants means that the dehydrated mass is covered by an oily coat. Chemistry 101.... oil repels water.Therefor the dehydrated mass cannot become rehydrated, cannot change shape or break down and bunny is stuck with an oily but immovable stomach blockage.

This places the rabbit in a dubious condition....risk using gut stimulants and prospectively rupturing the gut or attempt extremely dangerous GI surgery

Last edited:
just rang vets and asked if we should come down for a painkiller and something like infacol to help with bloat she said she would ask vet as soon as her was available so fingers crossed i can get her something more to help cant believe this is happening shes been great till now cant even think about loosing her:cry:

finally heard from vets the medication he has ordered for tomorrow is for wind going to take her again in half an hour for painkiller do you think it would be better if she was admitted or would she do better at home?

finally heard from vets the medication he has ordered for tomorrow is for wind going to take her again in half an hour for painkiller do you think it would be better if she was admitted or would she do better at home?

Has the Vet ruled out a GI obstruction?
Was there any mention of an abdominal Xray?

If her stomach is distended then she needs intensive care which will include IV fluids. I would try to establish what the Vets findings are so far and ask him/her if your Bun would benefit from admission

Janex

he mentioned that could be a possibility but operating and milking the intestines i think he called it could make her worse with the anesthetic what else should i be asking

he mentioned that could be a possibility but operating and milking the intestines i think he called it could make her worse with the anesthetic what else should i be asking

So the Vet administered Metoclopromide yet he suspects a GI obstruction :?

Is there another Vet at the Practice you could see? If a GI obstruction is suspected then a conscious Xray should be attempted before proceeding with more gut motility meds. If an obstruction is confirmed then I am sorry to say it is grave news :cry:
Surgery on the guts of Rabbits is extremely high risk, not just because of the GA but because touching the intestines can stop them working and it *might* be impossible to get them started again.

If the Vet meant deflating the stomach via a tube passed down her throat then that can be a life saver ( it certainly proved to be for 2 of my Rabbits) But the proceedure requires a skilled Vet. And of course if there is an obstruction then the stomach will just bloat up again.

I do hope your Bun will be OK

Janex

Back