• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mr Fox has visited Me

lisabunnie

Alpha Buck
:cry:

A very very brave fox has been round for the last couple of nights (1 am)

The first night he ripped the run completely off the front on the hutch, the buns had retreated to the top of the double storey. I have no idea how he pulled it off as it was built in to the run and not damaged in any way. I had left the gate to the rabbit area shut (normally left open at night) so my dog could not chase him away. The barking woke me up the fox carried on trying to get the buns until i got the gate open and the dog chased it away.

Last night it was back. sat on top of another run and pulled the hinges off the hutch door:shock::shock: Gate was open dog grabbed fox by the time i got there and made the dog let go its leg was badly damaged. All Buns ok two hutches badly damaged. Spent ages looking for fox to try and help it.

First visit from fox in three and a half years :(

Hope it doesn't come back tonight

Sorry to here it is visting. Anyway you could bring the buns in for a while? its cubbing time at the moment isn't it? so vixens will keep coming back if they know there is food especially if it isn't too badly hurt my your dog to walk.

how scarey!...didnt realise foxes would take doors offtheir hinges!

Poor bunnies,good job you were about ....I had fox in my garden last year but he was after the chickens ,didnt seem to have gone after the rabbits at all.

Hope it doesn't come back tonight

It'll be back, of that you can be certain.

Do please get padlocks for your hutches. A double layer of galvanised mesh too. The Fox knows the Buns are there now and will do everything possible to get them

:cry:

Janex

:shock: Scary. I have never heard of that before. I can only assume she is desperately trying to feed cubs. :(
I hope she's not too badly injured, maybe you could call the RSPCA and let them know what's happened so they could come out and find the earth? It might be best that they move the whole family. After all, if your dog kills the vixen, or the RSPCA just take her, the cubs will starve. :(

Maybe bring your buns in or put them in a garage or shed overnight?

I have padlocks thats why it went for the hinges. I also have double wire the doors are shut and the runs are still attached

They are on concrete so they can't dig under.

I have too many to bring in but have moved outside light so it wakes me up quicker gate left open so is dogflap. Builder is attaching another set of hinges and is going to see what he can do to prevent the doors being opened.

The fox won't be walking on that leg again. :cry: (i did call rspca)

Apparently human hair hung in old tights is a good fox repellent. Maybe ask a hair dressers for a bag of hair!!! :lol::lol:

I learnt that from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls River Cottage programme, He hung little bags of hair all the way around the perimeter of his chickenopolis ;)

I hope the fox is ok too

I was sick after the attack, i hated seeing it get hurt, but i'd rather not find all my buns dead either.

The fox is just doing what comes naturally and it is my responsibilty to keep the buns safe.

Do you think i should leave some food out away from my buns or will that encourage them?

Apparently human hair hung in old tights is a good fox repellent. Maybe ask a hair dressers for a bag of hair!!! :lol::lol:

I learnt that from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls River Cottage programme, He hung little bags of hair all the way around the perimeter of his chickenopolis ;)

I'll try anything not to have a repeat of last night:cry:

I hope the fox is ok too

I was sick after the attack, i hated seeing it get hurt, but i'd rather not find all my buns dead either.

The fox is just doing what comes naturally and it is my responsibilty to keep the buns safe.

Do you think i should leave some food out away from my buns or will that encourage them?

I would be tempted to feed it, especially now it's hurt. a few tins of dog food at the end of your garden should do the trick i think. It might make it easier to catch too, to get to the vet?
ANd a full belly would make it less desperate to eat bunny.

I would be tempted to feed it, especially now it's hurt. a few tins of dog food at the end of your garden should do the trick i think. It might make it easier to catch too, to get to the vet?
ANd a full belly would make it less desperate to eat bunny.

I wouldn't be tempted to feed it. I'd be wary of encouraging it to come back to the garden

I wouldn't be tempted to feed it. I'd be wary of encouraging it to come back to the garden

But we already know it will definitely come back all the time it knows there are bunnies there. Short of killing it or moving it we can't stop that.

But we already know it will definitely come back all the time it knows there are bunnies there. Short of killing it or moving it we can't stop that.

Maybe - but it has had a bad experience in the garden by being injured. What would happen the day you stop putting out food, & it moves onto the buns?

After seeing its leg (it was almost off) i'm not so sure that it will be coming back:cry:

I can't encourage it into the garden as the dog will kill it if he catches it. I really don't want that.

I have found out that an old lady a few doors away was feeding it but she is in hospital. So maybe thats why its comming to me ?

Maybe - but it has had a bad experience in the garden by being injured. What would happen the day you stop putting out food, & it moves onto the buns?

Hopefully feeding it would make it easier to catch and get to the vet or RSPCA. THe alternative is possibly with that leg injury it would not be able to hunt and would only be able to scavenge or break into hutches or starve to death.
Not a happy ending either way.

Could you feed it outside your garden, if the lady was feeding it could you try to tempt it back to her garden?

Glad it didn't get your buns...

I do hope the fox is ok though. If it is that badly injured it can't have gone far and I hope the RSPCA can find it. I don't know what I would do it I were in an area where we had foxes. Think I would go for a steel enclosure like a dog run.

Back