• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black rabbit with wild ones

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
On my way to work yesterday morning i always see loads of wild rabbits.. however yesterday alongside the wild ones i saw a pure black one that looked like a nethie! :shock: Unfortunately i was so shocked i looked twice but then joined a major road so had no chance to turn around to look again. (actually thought i was daydreaming or something!) Didnt see any bunnies there last night one my way home again. I know it could just be one that has been released but it just sat there by the side of the road looking really out of place. Has anyone else ever seen an 'odd' coloured rabbit with wild ones? Did you try to approach it to see if it was tame or just leave it? I just worry its escaped although its quite a way from any houses :shock::?

you can get coloured buns.....especially black in the wild. I think they are probably relatives of abandoned bunnys. There is quite a large population in dorset

There's a tan and white lop eared bun round here that has joined a wild rabbit group. I nearly crashed the first time I saw it! It looked at home though with his new friends!

We have a grassy area near a sainsburys here which has wild buns, there is a black bun among them too. I wondered if it had been the result of an abandoned bunny. There is just one to it sticks out a mile.

The rabbit warren near me has about 1/4 of the bunnies there pure black. Last year there was a litter of four babies, and two were black two 'normal' wild colour. ^^' They looked so cute! But there have always been black ones at this warren... So it must be a colour that works - whether natural, or whether a domesticated bunny was sert loose and bred there - because the offspring have been surviving and reproducing ever since I've known about it... Which is at least nine years or so.

oh wow i didnt realise you got black bunnies all over the place along with agouti coloured wild bunnies... im gonna look out for it again when im next on an early shift. It didnt look as big as the usual wild ones though.. only had little ears like a nethie does :?maybe i'll take my camera.. although then i probably would cause a crash looking at it!! :roll:

I saw a big black one yesterday actually, periscoping in the middle of a feild and looking quite happy. It had a white bushy tail too so I think it was offspring of wild ones :) I wonder whether they have more resistance to myxi?

animals can mutate...you get albino wild animals. And I saw a black squirrel on QI last night so it must be true! :lol:

Yep lots of black wild bunnies. The first I ever saw was near a hospital so blamed it on the odd grass! But now there is a real darkie near us so its not just a one off.

I've seen a black wild bun and a tan coloured one. I think with black and tan it's part of the colour that makes up agouti. You don't get many of them about because they stand out more so get eaten quicker.

Back