• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bernie has sinus problem, U/D: Can a bun has small white puss on nose due to allergy?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
Bernie has been seeing a very rabbit savvy vet for 4 - 5 times in the past 2 mth. When I first got Bernie in March, he has 2 bad molars, and we removed them. Just after that, he developed white puss coming out of his nose, and was on ABX, turns out there is a 3rd bad molar, and in the end we removed it as well.

Then there is about 1 week to 10 days of normal health on Bernie, but just after that, his nose starts to make noise when he breathe, however, his diet is perfectly normal.

Since then, we try the following:

1) ABX, 2 weeks ea.: Pen G, Trimth-Sulfa, enrofloxacin

2) X-ray on chest, teeth, head -- all X-ray is clean, no bacteria

3) culture bacteria sample thru flushing the nasolacrimal duct -- very clean, no bacteria form

4) 2nd flush thru the nasolacrimal duct, again perfectly clean

5) metacam for 1.5 weeks, as metacam is anti-inflammatory, no difference

6) 1 try on nebulization of gaseous state of enrofloxacin, no difference

At this point, the only option left is to do nebulization twice a day for 5 days, but I don't have a lot of faith in it

The strange thing is, there was a somewhat similar pattern of what's happening now vs. what's happening 2 mth. ago:

After the 1st 2 molar were removed, there were white puss only on his left nose

After the 3rd molar was removed, I caught him having the same white puss on his left nose, but only once, approx. about 1.5 mth ago. Since then till now, there is no more white puss

When the 1st 2 molar were removed, he has to be on metacam because at the time, we didn't know there is pain caused by the 3rd teeth

Since the 3rd teeth was removed, he is no longer on Metacam except for that 1.5 week try out, as we thought there may be bacteria at the bone level

So the above forms a pattern, and my gut tells me there is yet another bad tooth causing the above. But 2 sets of x-ray, 1 w/ him under a GA when we removed his 3rd molar, the other set, done on a different date, both shows no bacteria on teeth

Needless if it were another bad tooth, he should be in pain, and yet he's not on metacam and he's eating just fine

So that crash my theory. In summary, has anyone seen the above? That the only symptom on a rabbit is the sound of his breathing sounded like a windpipe, otherwise, perfectly healthy, jumping and running very nicely, w/ very good diet

However, I did catch him having watery eyes just once (today), again only on his left eyes

In other words, if I set aside the noise, he's a perfectly healthy rabbit

Last edited:
Thanks Jane. I think it's well worth a try at this pt. And in that 2nd link, where it mentioned a small piece of hay stuck in the nose passage, I won't be surprise as that thought has cross my mind. I'll ask the vet to check out both of the above possibilities

Here's an update: on May 24, as Goofball passed away, I let Bernie come out of his room and takeover the entire 2nd floor space of my house.

From May 24 to say June 7, all noises are gone. His rose is completely silent. I didn't give any treatment of any kind. The only way for me to hear the "windpipe" type noise is when I hold him, ie., Bernie gets nervous when I try to hold him. The noise disappear very steadily and in a very good step-by-step progress.

After another 2 weeks passed by, even if I were to hold him, there is absolutely no noise any more from his nose.

So I thought, whatever the problem is, it has go away. On July 10, the noise from the nose came back. On the 1st day, it's very light, but after that, it's just like before.

The very first time the noise started, is about 1 week after the 3rd (and final) molar was removed, and that X-ray, taken while he is under a GA, clearly shows no teeth is overgrowing towards his nose.

So all sort of guesses from the vet surfaces: from bacteria at the root of the teeth not yet remove, to sinus, to bacteria at the nose region that can't be cured by liquid anti-biotics, etc.

In the end, as I mentioned above, the noise just goes away. This case baffle my vet, who is very good w/ rabbits.

I don't know what to do, it doesn't make sense to put Bernie under a "induce sleep" so they can put him under another X-ray to check the teeth. Because if it were the teeth, the noise would not have go away for more than 1 mth.

So I'm now leaning towards sinus, something that comes and goes. Has anyone has a case similar to my bunny?

Okay, I need some help here. Does anyone has a bun that has white puss coming out of his nose (left side), but it is caused by allergy? Or Sinus problem? In other words, the bun is very healthy and it is not pasteurella (snuffles)

Because as I mentioned above, the noise in Bernie's nose came back on July 10, but on Aug. 1, it totally disappear. It was there that morning, by the afternoon and since then, it's totally gone. This is different than last time where it disappear gradually.

Now, if I hold him w/ my left hand supporting his leg, and my right hand around his neck, I can hear some windpipe type breathing noise, but as soon as I let go my hand, the noise disappear.

So at this point, I have rule out any sort of teeth causing the above. Now in the last few days, I have notice Bernie does a 20 sec. of non-stop sneezing, strongly suggest it's an allergy of some kind. And today, I notice there is a very small amount of white puss discharge coming out of his nose (left side). Last time I saw this was back in March.

So as of today, the symptoms are:

-) a few times of non-stop sneezing
-) a few drops of white puss each time he sneezes, ALWAYS ON THE LEFT SIDE
-) wind pipe type noise when I wrap my hand around his neck (When I take him to the backyard)

His diet is very good. In the past many times when the above symptoms occurred, the vet have tried all of the above ABX and as mentioned above, there is no use.

My new concern is, can these type of sinus, allergy, be passed on to my other bun thru those few drops of white puss? As they are somewhat bonded in the past few days.

I am leaning towards allergy or sinus, but if anyone has a similar case w/ your bun, please share.

Last edited:
you tried really looking at where he is and what he eat you could do trial and error and remove certain things, does he has soft toys you wash? does anyone smoke? anyone use chemical sprays anywhere near? does this happen at any particular time of the day for example before or after bed change, or food,
ive got a bun who has random sneezing fits at the mo and hes been given all clear at vets, it doesnt happen all the time, but ive changed his hay to dust free, reduced his veg as he does suffer with rich foods, he seems to clear up up with some lavender and mint leaves to eat, ive just moved him outside and he seems to be much better only heard one sneezing fit so far

sorry cant be much more help, it does seem if its not medical theres something around him that effects him

None of those things you mentioned is in this house. There is a highway construction a few blocks from my house, and I notice the first time he came out of the "windpipe noise" incident, and I did notice more dust when I vacuum the house. So since then, I vacuum it more frequently.

But the sneezing episode yesterday has nothing to do with it as the 2nd fl. was clean just 2 weekend ago. I suppose it is possible that it's the hay, as it is a new set of hay just the other day.

I'll post a separate question in General chat about the hay and see what people says. Thanks

Back