• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

jaw abscesses and bone growth *update

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I'm worried about the large lump on Hobbes jaw where his abscess was. He finished his treatment at the end of March and got the all clear from the vet. I took him back to the vets a month later as the lump seemed to be back but the vet said it was hard and wasn't another abscess but bone growing where it had been.
Its got really big this last week but still feels very hard. I shall take him to the vets again tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before?
Will the bone continue to grow or does it stop eventually? Should I still be feeding him greens and broccoli or will the calcium be making it worse? :?
He seems very happy in himself but the vets said there was nothing they could do about the lump :(

Last edited:
This is the stage Bobby's at, and we've been told that, apart from having some of the bone scraped away, there is nothing we can do now.
Bobs is fine in himself and eating - absolutely normal, but he does has a lopsided look about him!
I believe this condition is called osteomylitis. I lost Patch to this about 3 years ago, she got to the point where she couldn't eat very many foods and the weight dropped off her.. I'm not sure the prognosis is great, but Bobby's 6 now, and been a very happy bunster, so I'm just going to see how he goes.
I hope you get some good news for Hobbes.

This is the stage Bobby's at, and we've been told that, apart from having some of the bone scraped away, there is nothing we can do now.
Bobs is fine in himself and eating - absolutely normal, but he does has a lopsided look about him!
I believe this condition is called osteomylitis. I lost Patch to this about 3 years ago, she got to the point where she couldn't eat very many foods and the weight dropped off her.. I'm not sure the prognosis is great, but Bobby's 6 now, and been a very happy bunster, so I'm just going to see how he goes.
I hope you get some good news for Hobbes.

How long has Bobby been like this?

This is his lump on the right hand side jaw. I don't know how well you can see it on the pictures but it's quite large now.

lump1.jpg

lump2.jpg

lump3.jpg

Bobby's been like it since October. I honestly didn't think he'd see Christmas the rate it was growing.

The abcess does fill up about once every 2 months - he has this drained at the vet during a normal appointment (he's such a brave boy -I'm so proud of him!)

The hard lump doesn' seem to grow at such an alarming rate, and as I say, he manages to eat everything fine (he had to have one set of incisors out, as the cause of the abcess was a tooth root.)

He's managing very well. However, if it had been Ruby, who was very depressed when she only had a tiny dose of snuffles, I don't think she would still be with us. It depends onthe temperament of the bun, doesn't it?

Hobbes is a very happy boy. He doesn't seem bothered by this lump at all. I hope he can carry on for a while yet but I won't let him suffer. He's always loved his food so if he ever stops eating I'll know he's had enough :(

This is our thought with Bobby. As long as he's eating, and doing his normal things (he's sunbathing at the moment:D), then we're happy, but I won't let him suffer.
This is Bobby's lump
DSC00097.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

It does look a very similar size to Hobbes lump. I'm calling him my little elephant rabbit man at the moment! :D

I don't have advice specific to your situation but Sorrel's abcess used th drain pus through a hole under her jaw and a hole into her mouth (yuk) and gradually it has "walled off" so there's no longer a hole into her mouth and there's less of acavity where it was removed...the vets seemed to think this was a good thing as she was regowing bone rather than just producing loads of pus. hope Hobbes is ok x x x

Estelle Alfie had the bony lump too it did get a little bigger but as you said vets cant do much,it didnt stop him though it was just the fact his back teeth need burring every 6 weeks that was the risk,and what killed him in the end:cry: his actuall absess had cleared up

Just back from the vets and the abscess has come back :( It's been lanced and I have to wash it out twice a day and start him back on the depocillin injections. Poor Hobbes :(

Just back from the vets and the abscess has come back :( It's been lanced and I have to wash it out twice a day and start him back on the depocillin injections. Poor Hobbes :(

Awwwww bless him :cry:
I hope the Depocillin gets the infection back under control

Janex

Awww estelle xx hugs for hoobes
how long was he on the injections before? when alfie had his they packed it with antibiotic beads

Awwww poor Hobbes, I send vibes.

If it's any help, both Nibbles and Zippy have had at least ten abcsess between them and both are abcsess free at the minute. Good luck :D

I've been given Hibiscrub to flush the abscess with but not a lot of pus is coming out. It's too thick so I can only get tiny bits out. I'm flushing it twice a day as I need help to hold him whilst I do it and midday i'm just wiping it with saline to stop the scab forming.

The vet said that I'd need to flush it for a few days but from what I've read it can take weeks. How long do you normally carry on flushing the abscess?
I don't feel like I know what I'm doing at the moment :?

Should I ask the vet about taking a sample of the pus so we know that Depocillin is the best treatment or will it treat all infections? :?

I may be wrong, but I think, because he's on the depocillin already that scrapping the pus for a sample wont give a true reading, I think it has to be done before meds start.

With abcsess I flush until there is nothing left, or the hole gets too small to do :rolleyes:, it's like a race, even though I pull off the scab all the time the hole gets smaller and smaller :?

Good luck :D

Back