• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit foods - good and bad.

Dexter

New Kit
Can someone give me some advice about whats good to feed my new little friend? He does love green lettuce (not iceberg) - but had been advised not to give that to him. I have given him carrot greens as well - and he just LOVES them. Any advice on that? Raw Spinach? What is an a for sure NO NO as far as vegetable? I want to do what is best for my rabbit - and I really appreciate any and all help! Thanks in advance! :D

baby rabbits should be with their mother until 8 weeks old - they have very delicate stomachs and shouldn't be given veg at all, or grass, unless you know the breeder gave it to them. Around 8 weeks a lot of baby rabbits will find the stress of moving house, new foods to digest etc. too much to cope with and they become ill, so it's wise to limit the stress they have to deal with.

Let him settle into his new home for a month, then when veg is introduced, just give a tiny piece - postage stamp sized, and slowly build up the amount of ONE TYPE of veg (don't chop and change) - over 2 weeks, before introducing anything new.

I've seen too many baby rabbits die from being given all sorts of veg, so I'm over-cautious now - hopefully your rabbit will be fine but don't make any more changes to his diet just now.

Back