• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance...

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
...What do you all think about it?

I currently have four bunnies, 3boys, 1girl.
1boy is neutered, the other 2are going to be very soon, my girl is also spayed.

So far, touch wood, i have been very lucky with Vet bills. I reckon about £250, which includes, Lopsys spay and emergency vet treatment after, then my myxi & vhd jabs..

So im just wondering is it worth insuring them or should i depend on the good old debit card??

Thanks xx

I'm not much help really as I have been really lucky will all my previous buns. I think the most I had to pay was for Sooty when he had two episodes first he came through the second he didn't. I think the total was about £300.00. Honey is the first bunny I have insured. Hopefully I won't need to use it.

i think most would recommend putting money aside into a special bank account, insurance seems more hassle than it's worth. it's certainly what i'm doing. sometimes the excess cancels out the point of claiming!

we have a account just for the animals and put some aside each month and think its a great way to cover costs.Must admit never had a insurance before and dont know how they really work.

best to put money in a bank account, as to be honest more worthwhile then paying for insurance. at least you will gain money with intrest will its sitting in bank.

I dont bother with insurance. I just put money aside which is for vets bills and vaccanations. I find it far easier as the chances of you using the pet insurance is relatively low.

id never bothered with insurance, but when got shauny i decided to see how much it would cost. it was only £8 a month so i went for it. when we almost lost him he had to be rushed to the emergency vets, and with treatment and an over night stay it came to nearly £400. id even forgotton that i had him insured. but the vets offered to make the claim for us, and we had to pay our excess which was £60. im so glad we did it, otherwise it would have been a very teary phone call to my mum for a loan:).
x

I'd never not insure now. I have been in several positions where I've had to scrape money together for vets fees that had they been insured, would've been covered. So, Im not taking any chances! Ifts for piece of mind more than anything, and I have some money saved away too, just in case - Cant go wrong :D X

I have mine insured but am annoyed at the mo as I just got my second bun insured and mentioned she had colic in the past and they put it down as not being able to claim for it in the first year and that can be removed if she doesn't have it again which is likely as its quite common so really annoyed as it is something they get a lot of. Thinking about writing and complaining and threatening to remove all three animals insurance from them if they don't remove that clause as its ridiculous. Can you tell I am mad lol

I put so much money a month into an account which I don't use. I will only touch it in an emergency. Any routine vet bills for injections etc will come out of my normal account.

I think insurance is great in theory, but once you take into account how much you have to pay for it, plus how much excess you have to pay on each claim, plus the fact that the insurance companies will find any reason they can not to pay out... well, I'd say you're better off saving up some money yourself.

Back