• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've been baking again!

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Lemon and Poppy Seed at the back and Chocolate Orange at the front :)

DSC00433.jpg

Can someone tell me if cocoa is vegan, I assume it is. I want to make some muffins when I leave my job in a couple of weeks rather than going for a drink after work or whatever but one of the guys is vegan so thought I'd make a batch of vegan muffins if I can.

They have milk in them does anyone know if Alpro milk will work just as well?Elve?!?!

Helen x

:wave: very impressive :p and yes cocoa is vegan, and you can use alpro milk but EGGS are the problem - they are from chookies :D I buy soya flour from holland and barrett, and replace one egg by putting a tablespoon of soya flour in with the ordinary flour in the dry mix, and in the wet mix (when I make muffins I just put all the wet into a jug and the dry into a bowl - I guess that's what you do?) for one egg add 1 tablespoon of water, a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar.

very importantly, put a TEAspoon of bicarbonate of soda in with the flours, and sift the lumps out and mix it all well before adding the wet mix - the vinegar reacts with the bicarb to create gas bubbles, which rise the muffins like an egg would, and the soya flour makes it firm like an egg would - it's tasty but very crumbly without soya flour in - more like a sponge pudding.

Or you can buy egg replacer from some shops - maybe from holland and barrett, or some health food places? I have no car so I make my own :D

Back