• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
I don't currently have my Cookie who is just over 3 insured. Can any wabbit mad owners point me to any companies that insure wabbits and give me an idea of what the cost each month might be and who seems to offer the best deal:)

Have my cat insured but just never seemed to get around to insuring Cookie.

Cookie is my first wabbit and my vet loves to see him cus he is in pristine beautiful healthy condition and she wishes all wabbit owners were as good as me :) - I am so pleased I am good at something lol

Another question, what is actually the average lifespan of a wabbit? Does the breed also seem to make a difference too. Cookie is a Dutch, a very beautiful Dutch too:D

I'm with Petplan too, it's around £8/month/bun for me, but I get multi-pet discount :D

All I know about lifespan is that your average rabbit can live up to 15 years, or more with really good care, but a typical life-span is 7 - 10 years.

Giants don't live as long, maybe 5 or so years.

I have all my 16 giant rabbits insured with petplan and would definately recommend them. Petplan insurance is for life, so if you rabbit as an on going condition then it is covered for it's life.

im also with pet plan for bout £8.50 a month. i think there really good. had to make a claim for £400 and there was no trouble, they paid out within 2 weeks.
x

thanks everso. With Petplan for the cat and thankfully never had to make a claim. May as well make enquiries with them also for the wabbit

I have exotic direct and had to claim last month after a weekend emergency -very impressed with their service, they sent a claim form for me to complete, I took it to the vets, and it was all sorted really quickly.
The bill was for £130 they paid it quickly minus £40 excess.
Honey is approx 3 years old.

Last edited:
Definately worth doing. We have our 2 insured and I think it is around £14 a month for the pair. Our last bunny George who sadly died last year had malcolusion (think that's how you spell it) and the bills on that ran to around £350 !!! After that insurance seemed a good idea ;)

How does it work? What are the exclusions like? I know with some pet insurance if they develop a problem with say a leg than any other future injury to that leg will not be covered. Is that the same with petplan?

I got a 6 week free trial when I adopted 2 of my buns but really you can't trial anything unless they are ill and clearly I didn't want them to get ill just so i could trial the insurance :lol:

How does it work? What are the exclusions like? I know with some pet insurance if they develop a problem with say a leg than any other future injury to that leg will not be covered. Is that the same with petplan?

I got a 6 week free trial when I adopted 2 of my buns but really you can't trial anything unless they are ill and clearly I didn't want them to get ill just so i could trial the insurance :lol:

Lucifer's excludes gut problems because she had stasis before I insured her, but otherwise it's a "covered for life" plan i.e. the problem will be paid out for until it is solved or the animal passes.

im with petplan... £9 a month and an excess of £50

they just paid up £345 for emergancy vet treatment for stasis and ive only had insurance for 10 months... definatiely worth it :) :)

The only exclusions on the insurance are usually pre-existing conditions. eg if he has a leg problem when you start insurance it's only that that isn't covered.

If he has the same problem multiple times but it starts after the insurance kicks in, then you can claim for it multiple times up to the yearly limit (usually around £2000). You can even claim for the same thing again next year.

It's important to check the documents to see what general things are excluded. I think dental problems on petplan are only covered if you have a yearly dental check. There are other things like myxi aren't covered unless you have the jab.

My two are covered by pet plan for £18 per month, they've just paid out £175 for Thumper who we finally found out had dental issues, but they will not cover him for that in the future. I'm surprised they paid out at all because they do say they don't normally cover dental issues at all. I think my excess is £45 (but it could be £50).:?

There are no other exclusions and as someone else said as long as it is not dental, they provide cover as long as I stay with them or until they pass. For me, the insurance is peace of mind.

Ive never had a bun insured as never needed to but when Will had her abscess it cost a fair bit with after care so when we got B i had her insured with Pinnacle.They have the same cover as Petplan for the same monthly fee with the exception that they give you £25 voucher a year to go towards myxy/vhd jabs.Am glad we did get B insured as she has a muscle weakness in her forepaw which occasionally makes her carry it and when she had an xray for this it caused all sorts of trauma,ending up with renal stones.She ended up having blood tests and overnight stay at vets,now shes on a low calcium diet.All this because she was stressed at vets.Her monthly fee is now £11 but found them very prompt when paying out.

My two buns and cat are insured with petplan. I have made a couple of claims and they have settled really quickly. Its around the same price that everyone else has quoted, I have multi pet discount so not sure on the actual price. I think it is well worth it though.

It does seem like a good idea. Max has had phuemonia (excuse the spelling can never spell that word) and still has slight resp problems so he wouldn't be covered for that.

At present I put money aside each month for vets fees but not sure whether to go for insurance or not?

It's a hard decision to make :s

If your rabbits already have some problems then any illnesses they get that may be connected with it, or share similar symptoms won't be covered. If they are serious illnesses they have/had then it is more likely that will kill them in the end than anything else :(

Back