• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Bunnies safely eat cherry blossom?!

Mumtobuns

Warren Scout
Please could someone help me? I have 4 bunnies, Bam Bam and Berry, Juniper and Starsky and they all live (in pairs) in a converted greenhouse in the garden. They are very happy bunnies with regular binkies etc. However, their outdoor runs are underneath our cherry trees and the blossom is falling into the runs. They all seem to think it's very tasty but I'm worried they shouldn't be eating it. They're all eating other food fine, drinking water and there aren't any unusual droppings or anything. Juniper has seemed a little lethargic lately but this may be because we keep waking her up! She was flat out on her back today as well with her feet in the air - I've never seen her do that before either! Is she in pain or just chilling out? Please help!!!! :shock:

I know cherry branches and twigs are a no-no but Im not sure about blossom Im afraid.

If you are worried some fine netting would catch them eg mosquito net or an old net curtain :)

Thanks Sooz and Tamsin. I know that cherry bark is a no no and I will try to prevent petals going in in the future. I've looked on all the lists of what they should and shouldn't eat and cherry leaves seem to be ok. I just hope the same is true of petals!

Oh my word!! :cry: What should I do now then? None of them are showing any signs of not being well, they're all eating a drinking normally with no unusual droppings. Should I just keep an eye on them or should I take them to the vet right away? :cry:

I shouldn't think it will cause any problems. If you are worried you could call your vet for advice but I doubt you'll need a trip unless they show any symptoms.

Oh and sleeping with feet in the air - sign of a very relaxed rabbit :D

Thanks Tamsin. They're not in the run overnight anyway and we'll clear all the blossoms out before we let them out on the grass tomorrow. As the roof of the greenhouse is covered, there shouldn't be a problem overnight. Thanks for the reassurance about the feet in the air - she's never done it before and scared the living daylights out of me and OH!!!! ;)

Back