• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips For Getting Buns In?

angel_night

Mama Doe
Everyday my rabbits go into their run and hutch outside in the garden, and at night I move them back into their big double tier hutch inside a shed (as it's safer and warmer). My run doesn't have a lid on it, so I can't reach into it to pick them up to get them inside (serious design fault there!). It takes me anything from 10-30 minutes to get them all inside. They aren't shy, they'll come up to me when they KNOW it isn't bed time and will let me stropke them and hand feed, but when I go to shut them in they just seem to know :S Consequently they won't come up to me and refuse to go inside the hutch or carry case.

Apart from egtting a new run (which I think I'm going to have to do soon, as I think mine maybe getting a little old :?) has anyone got any tips? I've tried the veg approach, and I would just let them out and shoo them to their own hutch, but our garden isn't relaly bunny proof, and I don't want them running off lol.

Thanks,

Ruth xx

Clicker train them :) A clicker costs about £2 from a pet shop and I have Buu and Beau trained to get in and out of the hutch/run/house its so easy :)

Sorry just saw your gardens not bunny proof, I use a laundry basket to carry mine about :D Just get them in the basket, cover it and move them x

I don't give mine any treats until they are in their hutch. Thay way they associate going back in at night to getting a treat. It may take a week or so for them to get the hang of it, but it is worth it in the end.

if it doesn't have a lid, how do you access it? :? bit confused!

try putting down a pet carrier and throwing some veg into it....when they go in, shut the door on them and carry them away :) then give another smidgeon of veg when theyre back in their hutch so they learn to not mind being shut up.

Hi, i let my rabbits out free range in the garden when i come home from work, to get them back in the shed, i only feed them in the shed, they come running cos its their tea time, as soon as i shake the bag they come running, they only get a small amount of food on the morning so they are hungry by tea time, this is when they get their veg/fruit also:)

Mine get fed in the run in the morning.....when they go out and in the hutch at night.....when they come in.

Consequently they let me pick them up without hassle and even come up to me because they know carry=food.

I feed mine when the come in. So basically, i walk through the garden with a scoop of excel & 7 out of 9 buns coming running in after me:lol: (We don't need to mention the other two -Polly & Spice:rolleyes:)

Mine have always followed me indoors at the sound of a shaken pellet bag. I would start only serving their pellets when you want them to go inside their hutch.

Yep same here, dinnertime in the evening so they are jumping into my arms knowing they are getting their yummy pellets! :D

I access the run by pulling the hutch away from it :).

I've tried putting veg in a carrier but they just ignore it :/ they seem to prefer grass lol :roll:

clicker training may work, so i'll try that! and i'll stop giving them food in the morning? i fele bad for saying that, as they love breakfast, but if they've got grass all day they should be fine :)/

thanks!!

Ruth xx

Back