• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A bit sad and confused - what to do about rabbit housing?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
A bit of an update on our grand building works... now the ground at the bottom of our garden has been cleared in preparation for Frankie and Jenny's new shed and we can actually see what we are dealing with, it's turned out that the work that needs doing is much more extensive than we originally thought :cry: We had a few more quotes for shoring it all back up and building a new retaining wall and the very best is still over £3K :( I knew there was a good chance that we would need something pretty major doing but I'm still really gutted that I'm not going to be able to get the buns a huge shed and run after all, at least not this summer :cry:

So now I don't know what to do :? I think spending that sort of money is out of the question for us right now, for various reasons, so that leaves me with three options:

1. Keep the rabbits in the existing Lavender Lodge and separate run setup, until such a time that we can sort out the end of the garden for the shed. The cons of this are that I work all day and so the rabs only get 3/4hrs a day in the run and honestly, I think they deserve better than that.

2. Invest in a Happy Hutch combined run and hutch. This isn't perfect as it would take up a lot of room in the garden (the existing run collapses when out of use) but would give the buns more space. The rabs I'm sure would be fine, but I might take a tumble one night :shock:

3. Buy a smaller playhouse and put it on the spare cleared at the bottom of the garden so far. The cons of this are that it's not that safe down at the bottom of the garden without the retaining wall (it's an 8ft drop into the garden behind us, we're on a very steep hill) but it would allow the buns more room.

At the moment I'm leaning towards option 2 but I'm just not sure :? This housing thing has been rumbling on for ages now and I just don't feel like I'm any closer to a solution. Sorry to sound so miserable, I'm just really disappointed about the whole shed thing :( What do you guys think?

why not build a run to fit your lavendar lodge hutch, rather than buy a new combining hutch and run? xxx

why not build a run to fit your lavendar lodge hutch, rather than buy a new combining hutch and run? xxx

My husband said the same thing :) I'm not sure... partly I worry that if I decide to build a new run myself it'll just never get done, I'll buy all the things I need but then spend forever making it, or worse, making a complete hash of it and then wasting all that money and having to buy one anyway :roll: :lol:

The other thing is, I'd quite like to move my piggies from their 4ft hutch into the Lavender Lodge so that they also have a bit more room.

Sending hugs hun. I would go for the safest option No. 2 :) Atleast they can have a run 24/7 and we dont want you slipping down into next doors garden.

option 2 sounds the best hun.... if you do tumble at night im sure the bunnies wont tell anyone ;)

must be terribly disappointing tho, id prob have the biggest tantrum and do nothing at all so atleast your already trying to work around it xxx

Sorry your plans haven't worked out. Number 2 option sounds good. Otherwise what about buying a run like tamsins and putting your hutch in it, that might be easier than building one yourself.

Look what we've been building :D

IMG_0684b.jpg

Sorry don't know how to put a link to the thread:oops:

My husband said the same thing :) I'm not sure... partly I worry that if I decide to build a new run myself it'll just never get done, I'll buy all the things I need but then spend forever making it, or worse, making a complete hash of it and then wasting all that money and having to buy one anyway :roll: :lol:

The other thing is, I'd quite like to move my piggies from their 4ft hutch into the Lavender Lodge so that they also have a bit more room.

Could you commission a joiner to make the run for you and connect it? Im going to be looking for someone to build two custom runs once my garden has been re-landscaped. :)

You can buy aviary panels (run sides) then you'd just have to join the sides to together (you can use cable ties at a pinch if your really bad at DIY).

must be terribly disappointing tho, id prob have the biggest tantrum and do nothing at all so atleast your already trying to work around it xxx

I've been through that stage too :lol:

Thanks for the replies everyone, for understanding my rather morose original post. I've had a chat with my OH about everything suggested and I'm going to go with the Happy Hutch option. I was very tempted by a setup like Tamsin's, but at the same time I would definitely like for the piggies to be able to move into the Lavender Lodge, so that would mean buying a new hutch anyway. Happy Hutch have got a sale on at the moment, so I think it's a sign :)

Sooz, I know a fantastic joiner, just let me know if you want his number. He made a load of custom bookcases for us and was just fab, very reasonable prices too :thumb:

Back