• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage rest - what size cage?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Ive got Beau in a pen but he knows its just his pen and im sure he is looking at jumping out or knocking it over, he kept standing up because thats what he knows the top is open :( What size cage should I get? Should it be smaller that what is normally recommended to stop him moving about? I am thinking I should get him a dog crate but am not sure what size to get? x

:wave: Sorry Beau has broken his toes and needs to be kept in a smallish space while they heal :) I need to try and keep him as still as possible :(

Anyone have any idea what size dog crate would be ok for a bun who needs to be kept still for the next 6 weeks? I dont want to just go and get the smallest size and then find out its wrong. My vet just said a small space and told me his hutch is too big for him at the moment, he didnt tell me what kind of size I need :? x

My vet isnt going to be in until Tuesday, I called them yesterday to ask if Beau was ok to move around a little and they told me to try and keep him as still as possible and put him in an indoor rabbit cage. But I feel this is too small even if he isnt supposed to move about much. I looked at an indoor rabbit cage on the interenet and he wouldnt be able to move at all in one :? And his head would touch the top :shock: I want him to be able to at least turn around. I hope there is a pet shop open today :? Might just go and look at them and hopefully it will be easier to pick a size if im actually looking at them x

Depends how big Beau is. If he's not meant to be moving round much I'd go for a 36 inch - a 42 inch dog crate.

This my old 36inch Here's a picture of molly in it for a size guide. Molly's around 1.7 kg
cratepic-1.jpg

With Lucy (when she had a cast on and when she had her amputation) I gave her enough room for a lie down but not very much room to bound about and be a lunatic! So I would opt for the length of him plus his legs both ways and not much bigger, if he lops around too much then he will only make it worse!! :D

Scout was kept in a 36" dog crate when she broke her leg but in the last few weeks she was allowed out a couple of times a day.

I kept Jess in her 48 inch dog crate, but I took out her things to jump on and she was ok.

I followed vet advice for mine so maybe call the vet and see what he/she says? Mine was that she was not allowed to move much at all but then that was an amputation!? :shock:

Thanks I think I will go for 36" :D

The vet said not to let him move about much, if I put him in something too small he is just going to get annoyed and start kicking about anyways x

Back