• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teyla is sick! What should I do?

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
Yesterday I didn't see anything unusual. This morning she was very intent on getting out of her cage, so I let her. She ran around for a bit, but now that I think about it she didn't do any of her usual binkying. She also did something she's never done before - tried to eat the carpet. I shooed her off it but she was so insistent that I ended up putting her back in her cage for a bit. I let her out a while later and she tried again, but let it go when I shooed her. She put herself back in her cage the second time.

I just went to feed them and she didn't come running for her pellets. Usually she charges and grunts at me when I put my hand in her cage, realizes it's me and settles down to eat up.

I shook the treat container and she didn't get excited. Offered her a carrot treat (her favorite thing in the whole world) and she wouldn't take it. Offered her some rabbit lax but she wouldn't eat it either. There's a lot of hay in her cage as well.

She's usually a very grumpy girl and does not tolerate me crawling in her cage. Tonight she hasn't tried anything. Just laid there and let me do whatever to her. THIS IS EXTREMELY UNUSUAL FOR HER. She does not like to be petted and is vehemently opposed to having her tail "poofed".

I cleaned her poopoo box and threw out all the old hay. I put a measured amount of pellets and hay in so I can see if she eats anything. I also left the dose of rabbit lax in there for her. I can't tell how many poops she made because she dug all the bedding out of her box, but the amount of pee seemed normal.

I'm very worried about her. She hasn't lost all her spunk but she definately is not acting right.

My plan (PLEASE tell me if this is a bad plan) is to see how she is tomorrow when I get up (630) and if she's the same, take her to the vet after I get back from class at 1130. If she's worse I'll have to drop her off on my way to school.

Any suggestions?

I read some threads here and have decided to drop her off when they open at 7. I hope my baby will be okay. I typed up everything I could think of about her history and her current problem. That way the vet can read my words when he gets there at 9 instead of reading what someone else summarized and wrote down.

I guess it's late at night over there. dropping her off at 7 sounds like a good plan. rabbits can become ill very quickly. In the meantime can you give her some what we in the uk call infacol (suppose you look it up for the us version) and maybe some tummy rubs in case she has gas in her tummy and is in pain. keep her warm as well as when they are sick they cannot control their temperature.

good luck at the vets

Aww, sorry to hear she's off colour. Try tempting her with her fav foods. Can you tell if she's pooped at all?

Is she spayed? Just wondering if the digging/pulling at carpet could be phantom pregnancy nest building?

Yes, it is midnight here. Even the emergency vets are closed.

I will look that stuff up and pet her tummy, as long as she doesn't act like it's hurting her worse.

It is the usual 27 degrees Celcius (80F) here. Shes doesn't want her favorite foods. She was spayed before I got her, which was nearly a year ago.

I have to go get her travel box ready now...

one of my bunnies goes like this from time to time - it's important not to hang about waiting and seeing, because they will most definitely get worse without care. I syringe 1 ml of infacol (simethicone), followed by water warmed from the kettle, 10ml then leave her an hour for it to do its work, then another 10ml and leave her again for an hour, then give her dandelions and she's usually over it by then.

I don't like force-feeding or gut meds incase they have a partial blockage of slow moving hair/food balled up in their gut - if you are gentle it can pass through with extra fluids. Hope she'll be OK :(

She had eaten a tiny bit this morning and she took a treat. I packed her treats and food and water up with her to go to the vet. I hate to leave her there, especially since the vet doesn't show up until at least 9.

Will let you know as soon as I can what's up. Thank you for your help and encouragement.

I called at 933 but the vet had just gotten in at 930 so still no news. They told me to go home and wait instead of going to the office and waiting. Ugh.

The lady did say that Teyla was busily throwing all the bedding out of her travel cage. That's my girl!

Will keep you posted...

Have you heard anything yet? Sounds like she's on the mend though, sick bunnies tend to not want to do anything.

((((vibes)))) anyway just in case

Just picked her up. She was given a "shot of antibiotics" and sent home with Baytril and Panacur. 0.5mL of each, but one is twice a day. I'll have to go down and check to see which one.

He could not find anything wrong with her, but he knows something is wrong. I'm supposed to give her the meds and watch her.

She's also to go on a diet and switch from timothy pellets to alfalfa pellets.

She's glad to be home. Sitting in the corner grooming herself.

I am waiting to hear back from another vet about what he thinks of the treatment regimine. What do you guys think of it?

well...alfalfa pellets are more fattening than timmy pellets...if she's an indoor bunny, or an overweight outdoor one, she only needs 2 teaspoons of pellets a day anyway. Timmy hay not alfalfa hay. more to drink - water in a dish, warmed with a splash from the kettle, and if she has veggies normally, then wet them first.

It sounds to me like she just had an episode of stasis, the treatment for which is fluids, more fluids, painkillers and finally, after checking for an obstruction in the gut, force feeding mushed up pellets.

your vet doesn't sound too clued up to me, I'm afraid to say :oops: was she given fluids too?

Bunnies are not very popular around here, so there are only two vets that I know of that treat rabbits, the one I took her to and the one I am STILL waiting on a call back from.

Most people just lock them in a little hutch and leave them there until they die. :censored:

Someone sent me a link to look for vets near me, will do...

I don't know what all they did to her. They printed out a sheet that said what all they did, then they kept it because their credit card machine was broken. :censored::censored::censored:

What do you guys think I should do. Give fluids? If so, how much, and what? Encourage her to run around some more? Give her her favorite thing, fresh carrot tops?

Should I get some Pedialyte for her? If so, what flavor?

Pedialyte is like juice with electrolytes that people give to their kids when they are sick or have diarrhea.

What is she doing now? Is she eating, pooping, moving around normally?
You may want to give her some cooled boiled water, andmaybe some dandelion leaves - both are good for tummies.
The vet seems a little unsure of what's wrong with her though :? Did he check her teeth do you know?

Back