• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E Cuniculi

paweedy

New Kit
Hi my first post on this forum.
I am feeling devastated at the moment as i watch my 8 year old bunny Peter
going through the last stage of life due to the lurg that is E Cuniculi.
The vet treated him with Lapizole 3 days ago and said it would take upto 28 days to take effect though looking at him now i dont think he will make it through the night.
i am going now to watch him,and pray and cry and sleep next to him.
Please reply i am gutted

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny :( What are his symptoms, we can give you some tips on nursing care.

Did your vet give you the meds to continue with at home? It should be given daily for 28 days.

Tamsin

To Tasmin

Yes the vet has given him 2 pumps of Lapizole,and 1 mil of baytril per day.
His symptons are loss of balance and limb movement.

Hello :)

Your Bunny also needs an anti-inflammatory medication. If he has EC then it is the *inflammation* that the EC spores cause as they attatch themselves to the Central Nervous System ( or the kidneys, heart etc...) that causes the symptoms.
Some Vets will use a non-steroidal anti- inflammatory such as Metacam. But in very acute cases, or when it is a 'last resort' :)cry:) a Steroid such as Dexafort may be given. Although steroids have a dramatic anti-inflammatory effect they can have negative side-effects on the GI tract, the Kidneys and the immune system. But in my experience, when in the 'last chance saloon' taking the risk and giving a steroid can have a positive outcome.

If your Bun is still eating and drinking and is not distressed/depressed dont give up just yet. He is elderly but given the correct meds and intensive nursing care he *might* make it.

But if, as you feared, he has not gotten through the night :cry: then at least he will have had you by his side.

Please keep us updated

Janex

Just wondering, as you say your rabbit has a loss of balance and co-ordination, does he also have headtilt?

Also the manufactureres of Panacur (the more common equivalent to Lapizole) now recommend it be used for 6 weeks as 28 days is not enough to eradicate the spores cyclically shed. As Lapizole contains the same concentrate of Fenbendazole as Panacur I would think the same would apply.

I do hope your bunny is OK.

Back