• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taking bunny on holiday

sam_shinton84

Young Bun
Hi all.
I just wanted some advice really. In October, my OH and I are going to Norfolk for 1 week with the rest of my family to celebrate my mum and dads' 25th wedding anniversary. We have decided to take Flo with us. I know that's a long way off at the moment, but I was just wondering how rabbits travel in cars generally? It will take approx 4 hours, is this too long? Is Flo likely to get stressed out by this? We have to take her as there are no relatives/ friends around to look after her and I would prefer not to take her to a boarding place because I would miss her too much :oops:
Anyone with advice or experience to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sam x.

Hello :wave:

Some buns travel well, others don't. Only you can judge how well Flo travel generally. I think I have heard that if they are ok on an hour long journey they can go for a few more hours too. Plenty of water and hay is advised :)

Although personally I would try to find a nice boarding place. I would be too worried that the journey, no matter how good they are at traveling, might stress them, leading to discomfort and possible stasis :( 4 hours is a long time and I would be worried what I would do if something happened half way through the journey :?

There are lots of really nice boarding places and some even cater for indoor buns :D

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear :oops: :lol:

i live in derby and some people i work with here are actually from sidmouth in devon and when they go home for crimbo or just to see the family their bun goes with them. she is fine travelling in the car and they have never had any issues with her being stressed or anything, but obviously your bunny may not be the same.

it would be lovely for you to take her with you, obviously only if she is ok with travelling as buns would like a holiday too!!!

my 2 dont mind the car, Have not done long jorneys with them though. Just take her for car rides so she can get used to it

alvin travels ok, hes managed 7 hours to edinburgh.. he refuses water the whole way but will eat veg about 15 mins after stopping at the services.. he travels better on the motorway than the 5 mins to the vets :?

i love taking him away and he really doesnt seem to mind the new environment at all :D:D

not seen if pearls a good traveller or not yet

alvin travels ok, hes managed 7 hours to edinburgh.. he refuses water the whole way but will eat veg about 15 mins after stopping at the services.. he travels better on the motorway than the 5 mins to the vets

i love taking him away and he really doesnt seem to mind the new environment at all

That's pretty much my experience with Muppet. Up until recently he came with me regularly on trips to my mother's house (four hours drive) for the weekend. I think he found the new environment stimulating (and of course having you there provides lots of reassurance) and after his first visit he obviously remembered it and seems to quite like the change.

He really doesnt like the drive but does recover quickly at the other end.

That's pretty much my experience with Muppet. Up until recently he came with me regularly on trips to my mother's house (four hours drive) for the weekend. I think he found the new environment stimulating (and of course having you there provides lots of reassurance) and after his first visit he obviously remembered it and seems to quite like the change.

He really doesnt like the drive but does recover quickly at the other end.

yup as long as the litter tray is set up first i get a lovely big pile of poops and thats him settled lololol

at xmas we didnt even say hello to the family until Alvins house was set up and he loved the room, even jumped up on the bed a few times... im dreading June cus we wont be taking the buns or the dog with us :cry::cry::cry:

My two travelled up to the West Midlands from Surrey at xmas. Wasn't a problem. Put them in an indoor cage with lots of hay and water and they seemed quite content. Motorway was def nicer for them than country lanes. Whatever your carrying them in put something on the floor so they don't slide around!

Back