• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chudleys rabbit food?/expert advice please.xxxx

kimd6200

Banned
hya does anyone use this?ive been recommended it by a friend because im struggling to get the food i use for bluebell because nobody has ever heard of it.ive read the fibre content is 14% and protein is 12%.i know i can get it in afew shops in my town just want to know if its any good before i get any.xx
thanks.xxx

Last edited:
hya does anyone use this?ive been recommended it by a friend because im struggling to get the food i use for bluebell because nobody has ever heard of it.ive read the fibre content is 14% and protein is 12%.i know i can get it in afew shops in my town just want to know if its any good before i get any.xx
thanks.xxx

Personally I would not use it. Its the Rabbit Royale isn't it?
If so it is loaded with molasses and as you have already noted, it has a poor fibre content.

What are you feeding Bluebell at the moment?

Janex

I am bonding a rabbit who has been on this food and they have a lovely sticky bottom as it is not that high in fibre when compared to other rabbit foods. I stopped this food on Friday night and he is just on hay and he is already clean :D.... he is going to start on a tiny amount of SS tomorrow morning and then this will be slowly increased.

Didn't it used to come in huge bags?

If so, I used it with Inky when he was tiny and he was fine on it, I only changed him to Russel Rabbit because it was easier to buy and Smokey was on it too. Then we changed to Excel pellets and their tummies went bananas! We're now on Wagg BunnyTime Complete and hoping to move back to Russel Rabbit one day (my lot don't eat pellets and as they only get a tiny amount of mix, they may as well have what they like if it's ok for them).

I believe its good for fattening up Bunnies, breeders use it for condition. But yes I kept mine on it and have now changed to excel, because mine had sticky bottoms and the vet recommended this! :D

ill give that a miss then.jane shes fed on massey feed pellets.but i can only get them from one place.so god damn hard get hold of.they are tiny pellets.does anyone know anything similar i could change her on to?x

I use Rabbit Royale, and have never had a problem with it. A rescue recommended it to me as it is supose to be good for sticky bottoms, one of mine did suffer from it but never had one after changing to Royale. Supose it must depend on the rabbit.

right,ive just read through the ingredients list on massey feeds.would someone tell me if this is anygood---
oil 3.9%
protein 18%
fibre 14%
ash 8.1%
vit.a 10000iu/kg?
vit.d3 2000 i/kg?
vit.e 30i/kg?
selenium 0.3m/kg?
copper 21mg/g
contains cycostat to provide 66mg/kg rohenidine for use as an aid prevention of coccidiosis.can anyone make sense of any of this?its the first time iv actually had a full label cuz usually get wet n cant read it.xx

right,ive just read through the ingredients list on massey feeds.would someone tell me if this is anygood---
oil 3.9%
protein 18%
fibre 14%
ash 8.1%
vit.a 10000iu/kg?
vit.d3 2000 i/kg?
vit.e 30i/kg?
selenium 0.3m/kg?
copper 21mg/g
contains cycostat to provide 66mg/kg rohenidine for use as an aid prevention of coccidiosis.can anyone make sense of any of this?its the first time iv actually had a full label cuz usually get wet n cant read it.xx

I would not advise using a feed with an added coccidiostat all the time.
It will lead to resistance and could cause a problem if a disease outbreak should occur.
I believe Copdock Mill feeds makes the Pellets you describe. I would try changing Bluebell onto either A+P Pellets or Science Selective.

http://www.gjwtitmussshop.co.uk/acatalog/RABBIT_PELLETS.html

Janex

I use rabbit royale and have only had a problem with one rabbit, not a sticky bottom but hyper activity, I guess due to the molasses.
All I can say is the rabbit's coat's are fantastic and the vet often comments on the shine. They are too fat but that is due to me feeding too much and them not having enough exercise over the winter. I haven't had a problem with selective feeding since I've put them on a diet (have to eat all that is there now), and they have plenty of hay to chew on.

right thank you so much jane.wat is the thing you mentioned thats not good?cycostit?i think thats the word?:oops:xx

Its the substance added to the pellets to kill off the parasite (Coccidia) that can cause Coccidiosis. Whilst it may be useful to feed a coccidiostat treated pellet to a nursing Doe and Kits it is not a good idea to feed it all the time.

Janex :)

You can get Excel or Science Selective in pretty much any pet shop :)
yup wilko have started selling science selective now, also pah do a nugget based one(not sure fibre content) excel is in most pet shops/vets and you could also try the wagg complete nuggets which sainsburys sell. good luck

You'll need to wean her off massey VERY slowly. I have friends that have bought rabbits from breeders feeding massey, and they become dependent on it because its medicated. Most of the rabbits died whilst trying to be weaned :(

I feed RR and have never had a problem, the rabbits love it. I tried to move them to D&H pellets but they all lost condition so RR it is :roll:

my buns ended up with sticky bums off chudleys! I ended putting them back on tescos own make food as this was the only thing they ate without ending up with a sticky bum

gosh i didnt know that.i know there is two types of massey feeds pellets.the ones shes on now and ones that require a prescription.got infalec or something like that in them.she hasnt been eating a great deal of them just lately so thats why i was thinkin of a change for her.goin shop around see what i can gett.x

My bunnies have rabbit royale,no sticky bottoms in sight!....they love it and rarely leave any of it,thats one of the main reasons I buy it!!

Mine have never had a mix longer than changeover.

I used to feed Excel but it gave some of my buns sticky bottoms. They all have Science Selective now and I've never had any problems with it.

My local non-live-stock selling pet store orders it in for me in 10kg bags. Any pet store should be able to order it from their suppliers.

Back