• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hair in my babys poo

hiya, ive just been in to say hello to shauny, and theres bout 3 ''sets'' of poos kinda lookin like this -0-0-0-0 ive pulled the strings apart and theres hair in them:(. hes done a load of normal poos aswell and is eating (ive just been in there to give him some broc and beans).

should i panic (i am already:(.
x

I wouldn't panic just yet:). If he is eating ok then he should be alright, just make sure he has plenty of hay to eat and try to groom some of the lose off of him. If he stops eating though, get him to a vet ASAP and say that you have had some stringy poo.

Also, I'm not sure you can feed rabbits beans but I could be wrong.

Don't panic! :D

It's quite normal to see stringy poos occasionally. Just make sure you give him a good groom daily if he seems to be moulting and you could up the hay and reduce the pellets slightly for a couple of days :)

EDIT: oh yes, I'm not sure about the beans :?

Its normally for rabbits to pass hair as after ingesting it via grooming they are unable to regurgitate like a cat, not possessing a gag reflex.

The best thing to do is make sure your rabbit is taking in lots of fluids and fiber (lots of hay) and to brush everyday to remove loose hair and prevent them being swallowed.

cheers guys that has made me feel better, dnt know what id do if anything happened to him.

worried bout the beans tho. hes having fine (even trim them for him:) beans, god and he does love them. gonna go and take them off him now (hes not gonna like that).
x

I wouldn't feed him beans as the seeds are really poisonous raw, they are OK cooked but don't give them unless you take out all the seeds. Make sure he's got lots of hay, if he's not too young you could also give him a thumb sized bit of fresh pinapple which helps the breakdown the hair. Also try and give him a nice groom once or twice a week. When one of mine is moulting I just pluck him and the fur flys off, the others I use a brush.

Back