• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need help, nursing a neglected bunny

fiver & tenor

Young Bun
Im on my way to collect a bunny that has been neglected. I think its dehydrated and starving with teeth problems.
I need some advice, vets closed until Tuesday morning.. I can feed moistened pellets and water.. give tlc? What else should I be doing.
Thanks
Px

Sounds like you have started on the right track. If the bun is not able to drink, syringe water. Otherwise do as you are with the pellets, grate vegetables, cut hay into very small sections, hand pick grass.

Most importantly do check that they are weeing and pooing. If they are not you will need urgent vet treatment.

try syringing dioralyte, it is a hydrating powder i think that you add to water, you can get it in boots.

Is there any way you could go to another vets that do out of hours? If it is really bad it may need a dental doing asap and if it is severely dehydrated it may need fluids right away.

Thanks for advice, going to see what state the poor wee thing is in first. One of my friends is actually my vet, so if necessary I will get her over. I hope he's ok, I cant stand cruelty to animals..
Px

UPDATE:

Well I collected the poor wee boy, and omg Iv never seen an animal in such condition. He was severly dehydrated, skin and bones, his teeth were a mess (bottom front one grown up to his nose) covered in mites, and toenails so long he couldnt stand. Actually due to lack of nutrition he couldnt stand either. Oh and evidence of pasturella in his eyes.

On seeing him I took him to animal A and E, they are treating him as a stray so I dont have to pay. He is in such a state they really dont know if he will make it. They cant do anything to his mouth or blood tests until he is more stable. So the plan is a couple of days of rehydrating him and feed. I will phone in tomorrow to find out how he is going.

If he survives, it will be a long journey, and he will need rehomed with someone who has loads of experience with rabbits. I cant take him, so if anyone out there can, please let me know!!
Px

UPDATE:

Well I collected the poor wee boy, and omg Iv never seen an animal in such condition. He was severly dehydrated, skin and bones, his teeth were a mess (bottom front one grown up to his nose) covered in mites, and toenails so long he couldnt stand. Actually due to lack of nutrition he couldnt stand either. Oh and evidence of pasturella in his eyes.

On seeing him I took him to animal A and E, they are treating him as a stray so I dont have to pay. He is in such a state they really dont know if he will make it. They cant do anything to his mouth or blood tests until he is more stable. So the plan is a couple of days of rehydrating him and feed. I will phone in tomorrow to find out how he is going.

If he survives, it will be a long journey, and he will need rehomed with someone who has loads of experience with rabbits. I cant take him, so if anyone out there can, please let me know!!
Px

Aww Bless him, poor little boy.
I would take him, but i live at the other end of the UK to you and doubt the journey would be kind to him after just recovering from all that. Keep me updated. Vibes for the little man.

aaaawwww thats terrible! How can anyone let any animal get in that much of a state! Im sending vibes to the little one!:cry::cry:

Just phoned the vets, he survived the night and is easting and drinking a bit. Still very week and his back legs havent got strength to hold him up yet.
Thanks for the vibes.. I hope he makes it.
Px

Update: Not much change yet Im afraid. He is taking food and drink but still having problems standing. His back legs just dont seem to be working anymore. I'm trying to stay postive, going to speak to the vets tonight.
Px

Oh my gosh what a poor little bun,hope he pulls through-its so unfair! Sending lots of vibes and thinking about him lots !

Update: Not much change yet Im afraid. He is taking food and drink but still having problems standing. His back legs just dont seem to be working anymore. I'm trying to stay postive, going to speak to the vets tonight.
Px

Is he being treated for EC? I think that can cause hind leg paralysis :?

From what I can understand, he is severly malnourished and dehydrated, which is why he cant stand. But will hopefully get more from the vet this evening.
Px

Back