• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E.Cuniculi blood tests

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Is it worth getting a blood test done for e. cuniculi when the bunny is already on a course of Panacur? I was wondering whether it will effect the results.

I was going to get the P@H bunny blood tested while he is under anaesthetic on Friday but by then he would have been on Panacur for 2 weeks, now I'm not so sure it is going to be of any use

Thanks sooz, I need to read those through a few times to get my head round them.

What I was thinking was that because bunny was not tested before he started the treatment I don't have a baseline level to compare to now the treatment has started.

As they are so expensive I'm wondering if it is worth bothering as he is on the panacur anyway and the money may be used more effectively else where. It's just that I want him to get the best possible treatment.

Thanks sooz, I need to read those through a few times to get my head round them.

What I was thinking was that because bunny was not tested before he started the treatment I don't have a baseline level to compare to now the treatment has started.

As they are so expensive I'm wondering if it is worth bothering as he is on the panacur anyway and the money may be used more effectively else where. It's just that I want him to get the best possible treatment.

I would not worry about them. All they really show is that EC has been present unless you want to repeat them a few times over a period of months.

Personally I would not have him tested. It would need to be repeated at least twice and would obviously be costly and he is already on treatment anyway.

I would keep him on Panacur for 6 weeks and then routinely treat him with a 9 day course once every 4-6 months thereafter. Diagnostics are only really helpful if they give the potential of different/more effective treatment. Well, thats my opinion anyway :)

Janex

Thanks for your replies, thinking about it I probably wont bother with it. I don't really want to put him through the stress of future blood tests when he is conscious. I will just continue with regular panacuring :)

I didn't get Silas tested when we were worried that he had EC, as I understand it most rabbits will test positive... it's whether the EC is effecting them or not that matters.
We had blood tests for kidney function etc. instead...

Thanks for your replies, thinking about it I probably wont bother with it. I don't really want to put him through the stress of future blood tests when he is conscious. I will just continue with regular panacuring :)

........and of course a few more piccies of the little chap would be good !! :)

Janex

Back