• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Veggies

Hoppybuns

New Kit
So I am used to feeding herbs, forage and veggies to my guinea pigs and want to ensure my new bunnies also get a healthy diet. I have read lots of links and been through the edible sticky thread here. I am still a bit confused. I understand that leafy greens are good for buns but still not certain which ones to go for and in what sort of quantity. I have tried kale and they loved it but have been warned that it is very high in calcium so either don't feed to much or feed a walnut with it to help soak up some of the calcium. I had thought would try some savoy cabbage next.

Can anyone give me some advice on which leafy greens are best and how often/how much to feed?

a walnut? :shock: that's a new one for me!

I just give mine a small chunk of carrot, a medium leaf of spring greens, and a small knob of brocolli - about walnut sized, coincidentally :) Calcium's only a problem for some bunnies - if you give them water in a dish and warm it with a splash from the kettle in winter, they should drink enough to flush out excess calcium OK :) they don't need as much veg as piggies though - it's really just a treat for mine but it's best to give it daily as their tums aren't as strong as piggies are with new foods. Unless you're certain a rabbit has had a particular type of veg or fruit before, you must only feed a postage-stamp sized piece at first, and gradually increase this over 2 weeks if there's no tummy upset - really is better safe than sorry with bunnies :)

I was advised to avoid greens that can give them gas, as this can cause stasis, so basically anything like brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli etc. I tend to give my bun a good handful of herbs every day, especially basil, mint and coriander, and parsley not so much as it is also high in calcium. Cucumber is good too, but mine doesn;t like it (must be wondering why I'm giving him water in the shape and colour of a veggie!)

I was advised to avoid greens that can give them gas, as this can cause stasis, so basically anything like brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli etc. I tend to give my bun a good handful of herbs every day, especially basil, mint and coriander, and parsley not so much as it is also high in calcium. Cucumber is good too, but mine doesn;t like it (must be wondering why I'm giving him water in the shape and colour of a veggie!)

you don't have to avoid giving those veggies, but you do have to introduce them slowly as I mentioned in my post above - the gas is only caused by giving too large a portion when your rabbit hasn't developed sufficient numbers of digestive bacteria to deal with it - that's why you should take 2 weeks to increase portion size, so that bacteria levels build up to a good amount and there's no problems with gas :)

greens are very good for wearing the back teeth down too.

Back