• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

madymoo update - i'm fearing the worse

madysmummy

Mama Doe
she's not eating well at all. last night i put down some brocolli, she was picking it up and trying to bite but not managing it - then she would drop it and there were lots of teeth marks on it. i tried to hand feed her some herbs, which she took. its really hard cos moe thinks what shes got is better than his, so will take it from her mouth. she ate a little bit, but you can't hear her chew. she's pooing; but they're small and dark.
this morning tried her with some pellets- put moses in the run outside cos he was just getting in the way and getting shouted out to move (poor guy he doesn't know) - she took a few, and it was clear she wanted more, so decided enough was enough - got the pellets, some herds and a little hay with water and blended together, and feed her with the syringe. this worked really well (apart from the hay kept clogging the syringe :roll:) and she took alot of that. she's now in the garden. i think I'm going to hold off on the vet for a bit and see how she goes.
but this isn't good is it. it might be cos her mouth is sore but the vet said we caught the problem early.

If her poo's look different I would probably get her to the vets myself, they go down hill quite quick, it sounds like she's going into statis.

Sending lots of vibes. xx

If her poo's look different I would probably get her to the vets myself, they go down hill quite quick, it sounds like she's going into statis.

Sending lots of vibes. xx

whats statis ??? its bank holiday - vets not open till tues

Gut statis when the guts slow down, if ever mine start to go into it, the poo's start by going tiny then stop. I mean you may be right and it may be her mouth. I'll find you a link to statis, so you know what to look for, two seconds :D

Yeah keep an eye on her poo and syringe her a bit of warm water. Infacol is good too and is safe to use. It may be nothing, but it's better to be over cautious, I'll be thinking of her today.

Is the powder biolapis?

Has she got an actual jaw abscess? I know she had treatment last week but were any 'take home' meds given-ie pain relief and antibiotics?

I do think you need to speak with a Vet today if Maddy has no analgesia. If she is in pain she wont eat. A combination of pain and not eating will lead to GI stasis.

Please keep us updated. I hope poor Maddy feels better soon

Janex

Yeah keep an eye on her poo and syringe her a bit of warm water. Infacol is good too and is safe to use. It may be nothing, but it's better to be over cautious, I'll be thinking of her today.

Is the powder biolapis?

i think so - let me go down and check ...... its protexin

Has she got an actual jaw abscess? I know she had treatment last week but were any 'take home' meds given-ie pain relief and antibiotics?

I do think you need to speak with a Vet today if Maddy has no analgesia. If she is in pain she wont eat. A combination of pain and not eating will lead to GI stasis.

Please keep us updated. I hope poor Maddy feels better soon

Janex

she was given baytril - 0.5ml twice daily
metacam - 0.5ml once daily
protexin power to put in food /water

she had the general and x-ray on thursday to take a look at what was happening - he said its early signs of dental problems

sorry whats analgesia ? i'm not good with jaron

When buns are on a quite a bit of metacam, they normally have a antiacid to stop ulcers, I had loads of problems with Kovu he had an ulcer and kept getting bloat.

Oh poor mady, did the vet not suggest any treatment? I know when Oakley has her abcess it was hard for her to eat anything too hard.

When buns are on a quite a bit of metacam, they normally have a antiacid to stop ulcers, I had loads of problems with Kovu he had an ulcer and kept getting bloat.

she's only had the metacam once, that was yesterday. wasn't given an antiacid, just the three things i've listed above.

decided not to go to church - we are going to watch her and see if any poos come, she's just had some syringed food so hopefully that'll get the ball rolling poo wise.

Oh poor mady, did the vet not suggest any treatment? I know when Oakley has her abcess it was hard for her to eat anything too hard.

vet said there was no abcess on thursday - he said to give the treatment given (baytril etc) and come back wednesday.

Sorry to hear Maddy is poorly. Sounds like you are getting some good advice. Hope she picks up soon x

vet said there was no abcess on thursday - he said to give the treatment given (baytril etc) and come back wednesday.

Hmmmm i would tend to agree with Jane and Tree it does sound as though shes in some pain. Did the vet make any suggestions as to what sort of Dental problems your looking at?

Back