• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pigs and 2 tier hutches.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
There are a lot of people talking about guinea pigs being housed in 2 tier hutches. Has anybody had problems with pigs hurting their backs in these. One of our pigs hurt her back jumping out of my hands into the run (she was a baby with severe inbreeding- her dad was her half brother, and her uncle was her grandad, 2 siblings were born with microthalmia, one of whom died at about 3 months old) so I thought it was possibly a problem with that. I now know of another pig who hurt its back using a ramp in its cage, it was also a young pig. Is it a common problem in young pigs.

There are a lot of people talking about guinea pigs being housed in 2 tier hutches. Has anybody had problems with pigs hurting their backs in these. One of our pigs hurt her back jumping out of my hands into the run (she was a baby with severe inbreeding- her dad was her half brother, and her uncle was her grandad, 2 siblings were born with microthalmia, one of whom died at about 3 months old) so I thought it was possibly a problem with that. I now know of another pig who hurt its back using a ramp in its cage, it was also a young pig. Is it a common problem in young pigs.

Hi, i dont really know if im honest. Aslong as the ramps arent too steep.
I have two piggies in two tier hutches, the ramps have like steps on them.

Anyone?!

x

You can put little 'banisters' down the ramp and around the opening in the top floor to prevent falls :D
ETA my pigs have never injured them selves and i have old and young, so i'm not entirley sure

I used to have a two tier with a ramp and the pigs never had a problem, I think I did hear about a piggy on the guinea pig forum that hurt itself on one though :(

I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with them, but if they did slip they would have a long way to fall:(

Never had a problem, mine have additional rungs to help them get up and down. If I had one who had a fall I would end up with banisters. The back wall of the hutch is immediatly next to the ramp so there is only one open side.

Mine have all been fine.I do have rungs downs the ladder though and also a bannister.OH made the hole at the top smaller too.
Mine love to zoom up and down the ramp.

Back