• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any one elses buns hot?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
my poor babies are all flopped out and their ears are hot :( I'm gonna have to do the playhouse windows with mesh and maybe get a cage fan or two

bluebell was earlier.she was looking for cold spots in the garden.luckily the shed is concrete so she cooled down on there.xxxx

I'm really worried about the summer heat, especially for Smokey, our bun with breathing problems. In fact we bought an air conditioning unit for the indoor runs, to try and help keep him cool. We got one from Macro for about £70, at the same time we bought a fly zapper for about £22. I really hope this helps him and my hairy buns keep cool over the summer. If the rest are outside at least I can put a damp towel in to let them lie on. Who would have thought it, I'm worried about a hot summer.:?

I'm really worried about the summer heat, especially for Smokey, our bun with breathing problems. In fact we bought an air conditioning unit for the indoor runs, to try and help keep him cool. We got one from Macro for about £70, at the same time we bought a fly zapper for about £22. I really hope this helps him and my hairy buns keep cool over the summer. If the rest are outside at least I can put a damp towel in to let them lie on. Who would have thought it, I'm worried about a hot summer.:?

Tiles are good for bunnies to lay on when it's hot? Just ordinary floor tiles for instant,
Em x

Frozen bottles of water are an excellent way to help them keep cool

Yes, I agree. We always used this method with our outdoor buns Molly and Dizzy. Plenty of shade can be created with tunnels, caves etc and I always used to throw a big towel over the run to create a shaded area.

If the shed floor's strong enough to support the weight, or in the run, a few pavers laid down in the shade are a great way for them to keep cool - my patio's south facing but they all have cool concrete to lie on (shed floor's concrete as it's a brick shed) - they were fine all through that boiling summer we had, and I rigged up washing line from the drainpipes across to the fence (you can get eyelet things that s c r e w into the wall or fence) - and I pegged old duvet covers up and used bricks to pin them down to the ground - which shaded the hutches - it looked like an Arabian market but it was cool for them :)

A couple of years ago our old buns (sadly dead now) fell asleep in the sun, although there was plenty of shade. The were alright that night , but by morning had gone all floppy and we had to rush Bramble into the vets for fluids, she was OK, but her sister, Clover, did it a few months later. I got so paranoid, I ended up watering them with a watering can when we had really hot days, mind you they never suffered heat stroke again.:oops:

Thanks for the ideas of tiles and bottles, mine are on concrete and are shaded but there is no air flow on a hot still day and it does get warm. Maybe I just overworry after Bramble and Clover's escapades.

I have some bathroom tiles I got from B&Q and I keep them in the bunny fridge (yep they have their own fridge :oops:) overnight and put them in their hutches and runs during the day x

Back