• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thistle Hall

Plenty big enough. I have two of them. Duncan and Frank in one and Penny and Sally in the other. It is just the right size for two buns. Comes highly recommended!

What size are your buns?

Yes I have one, my buns are all quite small and I have 2 in the Thistle Hall.

My buns are mini lop size (2kg)

xx

ooh im glad someone mentioned this hutch,forgot wat it was caled.would it be suitable for a french lp?i havent seen it in person only goin by wat they told me on phone?x

I think it would be OK for 2 tiny bunnies as it is quite small (approx 5 1/2 feet in length) or for 2 slightly bigger buns that get a lot of time out of the hutch.

I find the Welfare bill confusing as I believe it stipulates area but area spread over two storeys with ramps, holes etc. isn't great.

Lavender lodge is ok for a french Lop, I had one donated to me I used it for about a month for a french lop but it was only in it of a night as it had free range during the day:D

I have three Thistle Hall hutches at the moment.

Two house my single buns which are both nethies and the hutches are nice size for a single nethie.

my other Thistle Hall houses four guinea pigs which is just about big enough.

When my shed is bought and erected i will be buying 6x2 modular hutches from the rabbit hutch shop and attaching walk in runs to the shed.....so personally i would buy something more robust than the Thistle Hall and roomier because you can get nicer better built hutches cheaper than them.

the wood on the thistle Halls is quite soft and my buns have started to eat their homes:roll::roll:

I debated getting a thistle hall for my two, but for two standrad rexes I think it's a bit on the small side, plus in the shop it felt incredibly flimsy, but it could just have been a poorly constructed display one. :?

Plenty big enough. I have two of them. Duncan and Frank in one and Penny and Sally in the other. It is just the right size for two buns. Comes highly recommended!

What size are your buns?

i have a 6month old dutch at the moment, just been neutered and considering getting him a friend of a similar size so just looking around for hutches!
He always has time out of his hutch to run around the living room at least once a day.

I know the posts on this thread vary a great deal but I think it would be fine. Obviously make sure they get plenty of time out of it exercising etc.
Em x

ok thank you.
If i did decide to get this hutch for two bunnies they would obviously have time out of the hutch every day.
currently working on rabbit proofing the garden so they would have that to run around in! But this is proving more difficult than i first thought :S .... lots of rabbit sized gaps to cover up and double cover up to make sure nothing can get through!

another question as im here! What size hutch would anyone recommend for two bunnies?
Looking on the happy hutch website

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=90&categoryID=6

would the smallest versions of these be ok? Or would a bigger size be necessary...sorry for all the questions there's just so much variation on what people say is "the right size" for a hutch and I don't want to get it wrong!

Thanks x

The bigger the better!
I do have a thistle hall but the 2 bunnies that have it lso have a 10ft by 5ft patio to run around on :D

Happy Hutch 6ft combo is good - I have one and can recommend it. :D

another question as im here! What size hutch would anyone recommend for two bunnies?

would the smallest versions of these be ok? Or would a bigger size be necessary...sorry for all the questions there's just so much variation on what people say is "the right size" for a hutch and I don't want to get it wrong!

Thanks x

No, the smallest versions are very small, too small for anything imo other than a lone piggy!

If you are thinking of getting a second bun, the minimum recommended space is something like 5ft x 2ft x 2ft with access to a run, but the bigger the better. You say you let your rabbit out 'at least' once a day, which suggests he spends a lot of time in his hutch, therefore I think you should be going for the roomiest hutch you can afford/fit into the space :) I have a 6 x 2 x 2 Happy Hutch over a 6 x 4 run, and I think it's just right for my two. If yours is indoors you could go for a single 6 x 2 x 2 hutch and maybe construct a run around it for the day when you're out?

Last edited:

Thanks x

Of the first hutch I would only recomend the 5 or the 6 foot ones which are 2 foot tall, the 18 inch high ones are not suitable for up eared buns or any medium to large rabbit who wants to stretch upwards. You would still need a run with these.

With the second hutch I would suggest only the 6 foot one, however it provides a good run area as well. If you are looking at long term economy for your bank account. I would suggest the bottom one which is 6 foot with the run underneath.

The thistle hall is only big enough for small rabbits and not for a pair of medium sized rabbits.

I have 3 guineapigs living in one which is big enough for them. The wood is quite soft and they are doing a lovely job of chewing it :roll:

The happy hutch ones seem better value to me and certainly offer more space.

I have one inside lopsy's shed. well i did have. she chewed a hole in the back of it. through two boards of wood. the wood isnt very good.

just repaired it today and painted. the wood is like an attraction for bunnies teeth, no matter how many toys they have!!

xx

I looked at Thistle Hall and even the lady at P@H said it wasn't big enough for two and that rescues etc would not let me have a pair of buns in that hutch.

Back