• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit run shelter

milly100

Alpha Buck
I have a huge wooden rabbit run for my bunnies and Im hoping to start putting them outside during the day when im at work once the weather starts improving. I have a long tunnel that goes in the run with them along with various other toys. But i was wondering if anyone had ideas what I could use to make a shelter for the bunnies incase it rains?? I have also got a big metal run/hutch which does have a covered over bit but I was a bit worried about using this in the summer in case the metal gets to hot and the buns get hot. It is were mesh on top and sides and its just the covered up bit which is all metal. Anyone know if this is safe to use in summer???

Hi

I have the same problem. I'm looking for a shelter that can also house their litter tray... I wouldn't like to come home to a litter tray that had been sitting out in the rain all day! :lol:

I can't find anything suitable though. I think I might have to try to build one myself.

What does everyone else do?

p.s. it's not an option to have the run attached to the hutch due to space constrictions.

When I had a similar thing for my first pair of rabbits my dad built me a "mini-hutch".

No floor and just big enough for both buns. They loved it! They were on grass in theirs so they didn't need a litter tray.

I did see that. It's a good price too. Is it quite a good size?

Dimensions are on the link :lol: Yes, it's a good size. We only have small/medium bunnies and there's plenty of room :) The quality is great too ... we were thrilled when it arrived and the buns like it too (they also like to sit on top of it :lol:). Does come flat-packed but easy enough to put tog. x

Mine have one of those each too, they're really handy. H&H spend most of the time sitting on top of theirs :lol: If anyone is going to get one, they really do stink when they first arrive though so do make sure it gets a good airing before you let any buns into it.

Im definately going look into getting 1 of these they look great. It will save my poor buuny from getting wet

That's what you think - my buns can go back inside their hutch, but do they? No, they prefer to sit outside getting wet :roll:

For the litter tray you could use one of those cat litter trays that has a lid and a little swing door (could take the door off) that way if it rains the litter in the tray will stay dry.

:wave: my boyfriend built this to attach to the run a couple of weeks ago so we can put them out all day.

Not completely finished yet as in the middle of sectioning off part of the house and run temporarily for the baby bunny and finishing off a few fixings/handles etc.

CIMG7282.jpg

CIMG7289.jpg

CIMG7279.jpg

CIMG7276.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on the size and height of the run - couldnt you use one of those childs plastic outdoor tables? You can get them for a few pounds and it might do at least until you can get something with sides etc? :D

How many buns can nicely fit in there?

I have the zooplus house and my two a dutch and a small mix breed fit in fine, they also like to sit on top of it.

I have just been nailing a perspex sheet to my run to give them a sheltered area, it will be fixed to the playhouse so that they can go inside but they like to sit outside in all weathers :roll:

I have an old 4x1x1' hutch in my run, I put their litter tray and hayrack in the open bit to keep them protected from rain and i have towels and straw in the other bit for snuggling, also they like to leap on and off it. they have fun :D

We have one of these http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/natura/33223 which we use as a little shelter when our buns are in the run. We have a litter tray that fits inside too :D HTH x

We have one of these too. Excellent value for money :D:D:D

Sadly BJ and Rosie won't sit inside it :( but BJ has had a fantastic time chewing it. He has produced quite a pile of kindling for our open fire, the helpful little so-and-so :lol: The wood is very soft so if you bunny(s) chew BEWARE!

Vanessa xx

Let me give you a very ecomonic option:

I use builders sand in my outdoor litter trays. I have also drilled a few holes in my outdoor litter trays so if there is lots of rain it drains out! The sand is able to absorb the thick rabbit urine and it often washes out itself when it rains (i just change the sand about once a week and take out the poo with my hand if there is a huge pile!).You can also cover the part of the run where you keep yuor litter tray with a bin liner or a piece of wood/plastic- this also will add to it being kept dry!.

This works for me very well- the only down side is that it will make the gradd underneath the litter tray turn yellow! But this isn't a problem for me because I move my run quit often on a fresh patch.

Last edited:
in my large run for my frenchies, i have a plastic dog kennel - cost about £20.
newrun1702081jpg.jpg

i also use 2 large planters that i bought at car boot a couple of years ago - just turned them upside down and cut an arch in them.
aug6-07015.jpg

also - the recylce boxes from my local council come in very handy!! ( i will just point out that i do use my ones for recycling but these came from a neighbour who was gonna chuck them out - my own way of recycling!!). there is also some tarpauline over the back for more shelter.
aug07018.jpg

Back