• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beaphar fly guard, is it any good?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I just bought some for my more sentive bunnies who get a bit of sticky bum, just wondering is it any good or if I shoult take it back?

I've bought it as well haven't tried it yet though. I used to use rear guard on my elderly slightly overweight bun.

I used it last year, just as a prevention and it seems ok. The downside is having to re-apply it so frequently as RearGuard lasts much longer ( but is much more expensive).

rearguard actually interferes with the lifecycle of the maggot, so they don't hatch out, whereas every other product is just a repellant I believe :?

I've just looked at the Beapher fly products in Jolleys. there are 2 different ones.

Fly Guard is £9.99 and kills eggs and early stage larve and needs to be reapplied every 2 - 3 months

Fly Free is £4.29 and is a repellent but it says it is also toxic to flies and maggots. It has to be reapplied every 7 days.

Hope thats some help

I used FLy guard last year.....mine are very low risk though so can't really comment on its effectiveness.

rearguard actually interferes with the lifecycle of the maggot, so they don't hatch out, whereas every other product is just a repellant I believe :?

yes, but if you repel you don't need to stop them hatching as they can't settle.

Sorry to crash the thread but while we're on the subject when should you start Rearguarding? Is it around now? Willis is overweight and sometimes has a bit of a mucky bum so I want to make sure he's protected.

Yep it's the rear guard one I've got, will have a go with it.

Gemma probably best to take no chances, I've got it for Nibbles who gets a pooey bum and somtimes Holly does too.

Back