• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A and P pellets...pictures added

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
All my rabbits have been on them for about 3 weeks now but my two giants are loosing condition. The used to be really muscly but now they look tiny and slim. My vet has given them a clean bill of health. They were not overweight before, just well covered but now they seem to be ...Less bulky, especially on the hind quarters. I thought this was suppose to be a better food because of the high fibre content? Is it possible it doesn't suit my giants? They don't really like it and have been leaving some of it? My others are ok, but surely a rabbit is a rabbit whether it is giant or not is irrelevant? :?:?:?

Last edited:
i've been feeding mine a+p and they have lost a tiny bit of weight and quite alot of muscle :? not sure if it was just the weather though.
it also takes them alot longer to eat than it did with the others :?

Mine are doing great on a+p maisy has bad teeth and has put loads of weight on since being on them

It doesn't keep the weight on a lot of mine either :?

Mine always eat it last too, they have it mixed with SS :roll:

Thanks everyone. So glad I posted now :) Will get them two back on P@H pellets and see if there is an improvement ;)

do you reccomend pah pellets? I'm looking for a new feed for them
X

Well they had lovely muscly, chunky, bodies with nice shiney coats and wolfed it all down :) It suited mine :D

Mine have recently gone from s&s to a&p but not sure if i should go back to s&s :? none have lost weight being changed over but they don't seem that fussed over the a&p. . It's lot cheaper if I can get them to like the a&p and with 6 buns now I really need to be looking at the cost. They do eat the a&p but dont go mad for it like they do with science selective.

Mine have recently gone from s&s to a&p but not sure if i should go back to s&s none have lost weight being changed over but they don't seem that fussed over the a&p. . It's lot cheaper if I can get them to like the a&p and with 6 buns now I really need to be looking at the cost. They do eat the a&p but dont go mad for it like they do with science selective.

Same here. I thought mine were just being picky to begin with (as not many rabbits like change) but they just don't seem to have an appetite for it. There is no good in giving them a better food if they refuse to eat it... I am going to perserve with another bag or two just to see but I am going to buy P@H pellets to mix in maybe. :rolleyes:

You've both summed up my thoughts on A&P.

Think I'll go back to the SS, they all got absolutely nuts for it whereas the A&P they don't

Feeding 8 rabbits on SS was getting a bit pricey so I decided to try A&P.
I gave them all a small amount as a treat the 1st time and they all liked it, but I found that when I was mixing it in with the SS they were turning their noses up at the A&P.
So now they get SS in the morning and A&P in the evening with their greens, they don't go as mad for the A&P but they eat it and seem to enjoy it.

It's just that SS is magical so nothing else will ever quite match up to it :lol:

All our 7 go mad for A&P. They are only small and rather than giving them just an egg cup full I give them just under the manufacturers recommended 50 grammes. Less if they have had more veg that day.

We haven't noticed any loss in condition but they are lean and the vet is very impressed and keeps asking us to bring in some more info on A&P but I keep forgetting. They have been on it around a year now.

Since rabbits can live with just a hay and greens diet I'm not sure why they would be loosing condition.

Have you tried the breeder and growing rabbits pellets? They may be more suited for giants and will probably work out cheaper than ss.

All our 7 go mad for A&P. They are only small and rather than giving them just an egg cup full I give them just under the manufacturers recommended 50 grammes. Less if they have had more veg that day.

We haven't noticed any loss in condition but they are lean and the vet is very impressed and keeps asking us to bring in some more info on A&P but I keep forgetting. They have been on it around a year now.

Since rabbits can live with just a hay and greens diet I'm not sure why they would be loosing condition.

Have you tried the breeder and growing rabbits pellets? They may be more suited for giants and will probably work out cheaper than ss.

Yes lean is probably the correct word. They are certainly not unhealthy or even skinny but it is a noticable difference. I think my little ones are leaner too but its just that its hugely noticable on the giants because of their bulk.

I would not like to put my giants on growing pellets as I would worry it would be too high in protein and make them fat. They have been on "breeder" grass pellets. I didn't think they were substantial on their own and used to mix them with excel which they liked. Maybe these are the same and I am going to need to feed the P@H pellets in with them...

All 8 of mine are on A&P and have been for about a year or so, including 2 giants.

All of them rush for their pellets, but tend to not then eat them all at once.

I must admit that my frenchie was quite overweight last year, and the A&P has helped considerably in getting her back into condition.

All of my buns look nice and healthy, just above what I'd describe as lean, and I never see any excess caecotrophs off any of them, which I did before when a few of them were on Burgess.

This was taken about 2 months ago...

feb2008.jpg

Him tonight...

radar1-2.jpg

You can really see the difference in his face in this and the first photo... Or is it just me?:oops: He just looks like his head doesn't fit his body :?

radar2-2.jpg

Are you sure there is no underlying problem hon? Like Deelove said the pellets are only a top up so shouldn't really make that much difference to their condition? Mine are on A & P, but they get such a small amount I haven't noticed a difference (except in my bank balance!! :rolleyes: :lol: )

Back