• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionel now has a sore hock - what are the options

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
pics124.jpg

(Sorry not a great pic trying told hold him at the same time)
His foot looks quite sore its really red and theres a small piece of skin in the middle :(
Now i think this is going to get worse as he now only has one hind leg he is putting all his weight on it. I really want to get it under control before it gets worse.
So what are the options? and what would anyone recommend? Should i bandage it? Just put some cream on it? Anything else? xx

pics124.jpg

(Sorry not a great pic trying told hold him at the same time)
His foot looks quite sore its really red and theres a small piece of skin in the middle :(
Now i think this is going to get worse as he now only has one hind leg he is putting all his weight on it. I really want to get it under control before it gets worse.
So what are the options? and what would anyone recommend? Should i bandage it? Just put some cream on it? Anything else? xx

Katie, in the pic it actually doesn't look too bad. But you are right in that its important to catch the problem early.
I think he may have to be kept off carpet as that is very abrasive. Flamazine Cream is good for sore hocks and IMO the sooner you use it the better. Its a prescription only treatment though.

If the skin does look very inflammed and if there is significant fur loss a dressing would be a good idea given that he only has the one hind leg. Until you can get some Flamazine you could apply a bit of sudocrem and then a dressing.

Janex

Katie, in the pic it actually doesn't look too bad. But you are right in that its important to catch the problem early.
I think he may have to be kept off carpet as that is very abrasive. Flamazine Cream is good for sore hocks and IMO the sooner you use it the better. Its a prescription only treatment though.

If the skin does look very inflammed and if there is significant fur loss a dressing would be a good idea given that he only has the one hind leg. Until you can get some Flamazine you could apply a bit of sudocrem and then a dressing.

Janex

Thanks Jane, I have sudocream i will put some on now, what kind of dresing would you put over it? I will also speak to Christabel on Tuesday.
Unfortunately its not an option to keep him off carpet as he is indoors and we have carpet everywhere :?

What about laying a cotton sheet or fleece blanket over the carpet in his living area?

:wave: He has 2 of those lovely huge soft fleece throws from primark in his pen and another one in his favourite lying down spot, i think i might get another one and use it like a rug to cover the main runa round area :D

awwww....poor lad. My Audrey has sore hocks and she and Monty are house buns too. I put down cheap fleeces in their living areas and anywhere they are allowed. I keep everywhere they go as dry and soft as possible . I also use megazorb in the litter tray with straw then a layer of hay.
At least you have spotted it early enough and can now control it.
Good luck

:wave: my vet wouldn't give me flamazine when i asked for some for barney as she said it contains steroids and is not great for rabbit skin. She said use aloe vera gel so i use that and sudocrem which seem to work. If you do do bandaging don't do it too tight or they can get bulging, painful toes.

:wave: my vet wouldn't give me flamazine when i asked for some for barney as she said it contains steroids and is not great for rabbit skin. She said use aloe vera gel so i use that and sudocrem which seem to work. If you do do bandaging don't do it too tight or they can get bulging, painful toes.

:wave: Thank you

Back