• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tortoise pics.xx

kimd6200

Banned
thought id post some pics of my other pet stompie my 2yr old sulcata.not brilliant pics but shes still cute.
aV2gqPV01.jpg

aV2gr3SS1.jpg

:love: She's gorgeous!

It appears that tortoise care has come a long way since we had them as kids... do you really have to have a vivarium for them now?

vivariums arent realy good for them.alls you need realy is say a large wooden box about 4ft viv a uv light and heat lamp.turned off at night.pet shops will try sell you a viv sayin they must go in but this aint true.x

vivariums arent realy good for them.alls you need realy is say a large wooden box about 4ft viv a uv light and heat lamp.turned off at night.pet shops will try sell you a viv sayin they must go in but this aint true.x
Interesting...... Glad a viv isn't needed but I'd be worried about having a light and heat source in a wooden box.

Lovely tortoise Kim :)

Sulcatas grow very big don't they?! :shock:

Luvabun - my OH's 5 year old horsefield lives in a 4ft wooden pen, self constructed. She has a sleeping box in the corner filled with hay, a few rocks about the place as obstacle courses, food bowl, water bowl, sunlight bulb and UV strip light. She is only small still, about 10cm across any bigger and I think this pen is too small, OH will constructing a larger one soon :)

The light is a worry if I'm honest with you, but we only have in on during the day - we also have a network camera so we can watch her from work and rush back if needed! :rolleyes: :D

She currently has sand but we are thinking of giving her a substrate area, something like bark chippings.

She eats a variety of veg, romaine lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, dandelions, small amount of grated carrot.

lovely tortoise :D I have a tortoise that I keep in the plastic tray of an indoor rabbit cage, and I use the wire roof as a run outside :D

thea,topsoil is a good substrate.i put a full bag in stompies pen n it lasts months.yea shes gonna grow huge!!!!but ill tackle that problem when i get there.x

Kim where do they sell tortoises now?I saw one today at the vets,he was 60 years old,he had the flu

When I was little my friend had one and he lived in a wooden pen in the garden and downstairs in the house at night

How long do they live for?When do they hibernate?

I worry about the lights with mine tbh. I only keep them on during the day too as they get so hot. The weather is a right pain, as if last year wasn't bad enough! Mine love being outside which I personally believe is better, as natural sunlight is so much better than the light simulators and the vitamin D is better; but the weather is so rubbish, mine have been in and out for about 10 weeks now. Just when they think they are out, they are back in and under the lamps as it's too cold or pouring down!:roll:

Simply because it's quite a hot lamp, mainly for the fire hazard :)

Thanks Thea, this is what I thought but was unsure whether it was something to do with the tortie getting to hot. Or the tortie may get dehydrated. I am useless! :oops:
Thanks

Lovely pics Kim,

they are a worry.my bulb holder has just decided to break on me so using a desk lamp which is gettin abit too hot.x

Back