• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit

milly100

Alpha Buck
Im going to our local rescue on Tuesday. They have quite a few bunnies at the moment all desperate for homes. Im going to look for a companion for my female house rabbit who 5 weeks ago lost her male companion. She is very placid and loves all other animals so I havent got a worry about her accepting another companion. I was planning on hopefully getting another male for her. Would this be the best option to go for?? The rescue does have quite a few females in at the mo but Im not sre how 2 females would bond. Any help would be great :D

I think generally it is considered easiest to pair a male and female. Some rescues do bonding for you so if the first bunny doesn't work out they can try another. There are lots of threads on here re bonding, I haven't been brave enough to try myself although I would love to get another one or two to bond with my pair as they are in a shed and have lots of room.

One thing that is really important when trying to bond is to make sure you do it in a neutral place and then clean thoroughly your buns cage before you put them both in there.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks for that. I bonded my last 2 and it wasnt to bad to do. I had the male first and had him neutered and then got a female. It went fairly well. They were house rabbits and once the new rabbit was litter trained she had full run of the house as well but my male rabbit used to chase her back to her cage. He soon got used to her and thay got on great. So im hoping this time round will be just as easy

I think I will try and go for a male as my female was previously bonded with a male. My rabbits are house rabbits my female which i have hasnt a cage she has full run of the ouse during the day then returns to the spare room which has her litter tray, food dish and water bottle at night times. Ive got a playpen which Im going to put up for the new addition as I will need to have some where to put him until hes litter trained and house trained. Especialy when we are out as my OH wont be to happy at a chewing rabbit :D. I will obviously let the new addition out every night and as much as poss during the day for a run around. And once they are bonded they can both go outside during the day as I have a huge run for them

Back