• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Dermisol cream cause baldness??

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
My bunny Joey had a wee sore patch on his back just between his shoulder blades. I took him to the vet last week and they said it was a wound from crawling under something. So I assumed it was his log tunnel and modified it so he can get through easier.

Anyway, the vet gave me some Dermisol cream to apply twice a day for 5 days which I did. But although the wound has healed Joey now has a big bald patch where I applied the cream. I called the vet and he said that I should leave him for a bit and if the fur doesn't start to grow back then I have to take him back in. Joey doesn't seem at all bothered by it, he is eating, pooing and playing as usual. He just looks a bit funny. And I can now see wee patches of black fur coming back through.

Has this ever happened to anybun else? Do you think it's the Dermisol cream or is there anything else that could cause it.

The wound was about half the size of a pinky finger nail but the bald patch is a wee bit bigger than the size of a tea light candle. Any ideas?

I was thinking that maybe the Dermisol irritated him as he always scratched a wee bit after I put it on. Do you think the scratching has caused him to go bald!!?

I think if there has been soft tissue damage then the fur folicles can be affected, meaning the fur falls out. It may grow back white. I dont know if the Dermisol would actually be the primary cause of the furloss though. I have read something about potential problems with longterm use of Dermisol but I cant remember where I read it :rolleyes:

Janex :)

this happened to bif..she had a nasty wound on her neck where shed fighting willow after willow escaoed last year...it was awful..but i had to bathe her neck and apply dermisol for a week i think.her neck went as bald as a babys bottom!! the fur didnt look like itd ever grow back but her flufty neck is normal now.
the tuftsof fur you see is the begining of it all growing back.

jane im sure i read something in the instructions on that in the box. i wonder if its like hydrocorsione etc and causes thinning of the skin..it would make sense.....although its only supposed to affect necrotic tissue if it makes fur fal out you gotta wonder?

wonderfuls tuff tho..absolutley brill and i still have some in the med box.

I think if there has been soft tissue damage then the fur folicles can be affected, meaning the fur falls out. It may grow back white. I dont know if the Dermisol would actually be the primary cause of the furloss though. I have read something about potential problems with longterm use of Dermisol but I cant remember where I read it :rolleyes:

Janex :)

Thanks Jane. :wave:

this happened to bif..she had a nasty wound on her neck where shed fighting willow after willow escaoed last year...it was awful..but i had to bathe her neck and apply dermisol for a week i think.her neck went as bald as a babys bottom!! the fur didnt look like itd ever grow back but her flufty neck is normal now.
the tuftsof fur you see is the begining of it all growing back.

jane im sure i read something in the instructions on that in the box. i wonder if its like hydrocorsione etc and causes thinning of the skin..it would make sense.....although its only supposed to affect necrotic tissue if it makes fur fal out you gotta wonder?

wonderfuls tuff tho..absolutley brill and i still have some in the med box.

A thanks for that. The vet didn't give me a box or printed instructions just some in a syringe in an envelope with the vet's printed label on the outside saying apply twice a day for 5 days.

You have put my mind at rest. Thanks! :D

:shock: no instructions..thatsblooming terrible!
syringe? mine was a tube of cream

i was told to use warm salt water to bathe it then dry as best i could and apply the cream....and wash my hands asap after.

you can buy it online.heres the smaller tube but they sell the next one up for six pounds something its what i had for bif.

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/DERMISOL30.html

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/nsearch.aspx?keywords=dermasol

ive searched thru all the online pet meds i can think of and they were the only two off the whooole list that sell it:shock::shock:

glad to be of help....bif says dont worry its going to come back a full head of hare:lol: ooh thats bad isnt it:oops::lol:

its brill if they get bitten by each other too but the vet gives antbx shots too just in case or good ole baytril...

poor bun why do they do dumb things like squeeze ubder something and hurt themselves...aarghhh mind you so do the cats:lol:

Back