• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chin pouch on rabbit-good news with pics

sazixd

Warren Scout
is it normal for my jst over 1 yr old rabbit to suddenly get a pouch under his chin.iv felt it and it feels empty and im going to get him into a vet.
its just like a big bit of fat hanging but it isnt that big but it does go round his neck.
his sister doesnt have it and its only really appeared recently.
just thought id get some opinions aswell.
il try get some pics for you aswell.

Last edited:
if its a doe its called dewlap and is perfectly normal it will decrease in size with speying they use the fur here to full out and make thier nest

take him to vets to be on safe side. my french lop bailey had a lump under his chin and it was an abcess. it was removed and he had no ill effects:)

is he overweight at all? and is he *definitely* a boy?

it is normal for does to have a "chin pouch" known as a dewlap. but buns can also get extra flab round that area when theyre too fat. Id take him to the vet "just in case" cos it does seem odd that its appeared so suddenly. :? let us know how it goes. x x

thanks for all the replys:)
its defo my neutered male benny who has it/hes been losing weight recently aswell which iv been keeping an eye on because apart from that hes his usual self.
im gonna take him to the vets on monday and watch him like a hawk over the weekend.i just hope its nothing serious.
it was while i was sorting their run i noticed and i dont think it was there a few days ago because its on benny and i would of definetly noticed cause hes nosey so he likes to watch what im doing and says hello everyday .biffy my female just runs away so i dont think she likes me very well.

his chin looks like the one on top except not as big :)
bunny.jpg

why do female rabbits get dewlaps? is it because their in heat?

It's because when they are pregnant they pluck the fur from their dewlaps in order to line the nest, it's the easiest place for them to reach. Because it's hormonal, spayed does often don't develop them, and if a doe is spayed late it may reduce in size if it's not too huge to start off with.

I would say that weight loss in a bunny is a worrying sign and does need to be investigated by a vet. There can be a large number of causes but it is not normal so please do book a vets appointment as soon as you are able.

Lol, my vet recently commented on Lopsys dewlap! Its like a big cushion when she lays down lol! I questioned her weight and he said it was fine!

You can see it on this photo lol

Photo0164.jpg

Notice her in my siggy - no dewlap. months later it appeared lol!!

aaaw what a cutey:p
doesnt it bother her being so big.
if the vet says hes ok on monday then i wonder if its something hes gonna be able to live with or if it will cause problems down the line for eating and things,
iv been told on a female by being spayed its sometimes reduced but bennys already neutered if its the same way for males.

aaaw what a cutey:p
doesnt it bother her being so big.
if the vet says hes ok on monday then i wonder if its something hes gonna be able to live with or if it will cause problems down the line for eating and things,
iv been told on a female by being spayed its sometimes reduced but bennys already neutered if its the same way for males.

Nope not at all.
Lopsys been spayed recently. it may decrease!?

Buu had a big dewlap which has dissapeared since her spay :) My lad Beau has a small dewlap, but you cant always see it so it depends on how he is sitting :)

Would definetly see a vet to be on the safe side though x

Lopsy did have an abscess around her mouth before her dewlap appeared, so you must be very careful. The second abscess was whilst her dewlap was gettin bigger lol and i couldnt see the abscess and it wasnt until she was climbing in her run i saw it.

On the safe side go to the vets have it checked out. i did, due to her previous abscess's!

xx

A few months back when mollie was out in the garden, I noticed how big it was under her chin! I thought it was some kind of an abcess and took her to the vets straight away. I was so relieved when I was told this was normal and not to worry! because it looked sooo massive! :shock:

Def go to the vets tho to get it checked out, esp if your worried

good news its turned out to be a big bit of fat the vet called a dewlap aswell.
im soooooooo embarrased but all this time iv been calling benny biffy and vice versa:oops::oops::oops:
so it turns out it was my female who iv been calling benny who had the dewlap.both their weight are ok aswell which i was worried about too so yay happy healthy bunnys :p:p
heres the pics.my phones been playing me about cause of **** memory but i got them while they were huffing after the vets:)
this is now my female benny
biffy-1.jpg

and my now male biffy:)
benny.jpg

Back